Sub-Panel Bonding

Inspector Will

I recently came across a sub-panel which appeared to be manufactured for a main panel use. A metal bar bonded the neutral and ground buses across the top of the panel. However, since it was utilized as a sub-panel the installer cut the bar that bonded the neutrals and grounds (see photos). It was clear that there was no alternate path that bonded the neutrals and grounds. Does anyone see a problem with this since there is no bond between the neutral and ground. Thanks for any feedback.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20094520237_P4020046.jpg

65.71 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20094520328_P4020047.jpg

56.15 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20094520425_P4020045.jpg

49.83 KB

I recently came across a sub-panel which appeared to be manufactured for a main panel use. A metal bar bonded the neutral and ground buses across the top of the panel. However, since it was utilized as a sub-panel the installer cut the bar that bonded the neutrals and grounds (see photos). It was clear that there was no alternate path that bonded the neutrals and grounds. Does anyone see a problem with this since there is no bond between the neutral and ground. Thanks for any feedback.

I'm pretty sure that Square D doesn't include instructions that tell you to cut the bar. If there isn't a way to isolate one of the terminal bars, you usually have to buy an accessory grounding bar kit if you're going to put this load center downstream of the main disconnect.

That said, if the left terminal bar is isolated from the cabinet, it's probably fine. I can see a green bonding screw at the top of the right bar.

- Jim Katen, Oregon