Exposed OSB

DonTx

I have the APA Guidelines for OSB but cannot find any place where it states that exposed OSB edges should be protected from the elements.

I have stone veneer (yes, real stone) hanging off of OSB. The lower edges above grade are exposed behind the stone veneer.

Donald

Hi Donald,

They use stone veneer here but it is always applied over extruded wire lath and a barrier of felt is used between the lath and the OSB.

Don't remember where I saw it, but OSB is not supposed to be exposed continuously to the elements for more than 90 days.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

When I went through the EDI course several years back one of the instructors had samples of OSB boards from all of the manufactures and in different thicknesses. He had everyone go out to the hotel's pool and he tossed all of the sheets of OSB into the pool. After about ten minutes some were starting to sink and fall apart. Thirty minutes and most were floating below the surface. One hour and they were all on the bottom of the pool, except for one section of 1/2" thick OSB by GP. After three hours the GP sheet was still floating.

The instructor retrieved all of the OSB (his son did) and the GP sheet he brought back into the classroom. After a few minutes he told everyone the secret for keeping the OSB floating. He had painted all of the edges with several coats of clear Polyurethane. He had sealed the OSB to keep the water from wicking into it. The surface had a few puckers and raised places but for the most it was in good shape.

Originally posted by Scottpat

When I went through the EDI course several years back one of the instructors had samples of OSB boards from all of the manufactures and in different thicknesses. He had everyone go out to the hotel's pool and he tossed all of the sheets of OSB into the pool.

Hi Scott:

I'll bet the manager of the hotel was thrilled. [:D]

Donald,

There was some discussion on this forum or maybe the ASHI forum awhile back about this.

I think it is the APA that states if plywood/OSB is exposed to the weather it should be protected.It does not specifically state the edge of the wood.

What you describe is a common problem we see with stucco.Thanks to one of the other HI's in this area the Chief AHJ issued a memo to contractors and building inspectors basically saying this will no longer be accepted.

The picture is from a house less than a year old.The OSB is exposed and deteriorated at the bottom edge.

Crusty,

Stopping the stucco above grade has become common practice here in the last several years.Builders are just now starting to do the same with stone.Being able to view termites is one of the reasons.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif deteriorated sheathing.jpg

62.72 KB

Originally posted by Danny Pritchard

Donald,

There was some discussion on this forum or maybe the ASHI forum awhile back about this.

I think it is the APA that states if plywood/OSB is exposed to the weather it should be protected.It does not specifically state the edge of the wood.

What you describe is a common problem we see with stucco.Thanks to one of the other HI's in this area the Chief AHJ issued a memo to contractors and building inspectors basically saying this will no longer be accepted.

The picture is from a house less than a year old.The OSB is exposed and deteriorated at the bottom edge.

Crusty,

Stopping the stucco above grade has become common practice here in the last several years.Builders are just now starting to do the same with stone.Being able to view termites is one of the reasons.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif deteriorated sheathing.jpg

62.72 KB

That's exactly the way I would picture it Danny. I didn't mean to imply below grade. The foundation needs to be wide enough to catch the stone at a point 6" or so above grade.