Surface or bulk saturation

Let's take for example the case for drywall, does it require that the bulk thickness of an area of drywall become saturated (paper facing & gypsum) or does it only require that the paper facing become saturated to support mold growth?

Chris, Oregon

I have always found that the mold grows on the paper facing. The gypsum sometimes looks contaminated but I believe it to be cross contamination. I have seen mold growing on one side of the drywall where there was only high humidity, the Delmhorst meter read normal compared to the rest of the house. However mold appeared as a small dot on the opposite paper face. A small amount of water will activate the spores that it is in contact with. The question is how long and how much water. Keeping things dry is the key, the longer the water is present the more potential you have for growth. There are other environmental factors that play in such as temperature

why don't you do a test. I think it depends on how long it stays wet. Getting wet and drying rapidly will not allow enough time for mold 6to grow. In your neck ofr the woods, breathing on drywall will probably promote mold growth.

Put a sample in a dry room of your home. Spray it with water. Wait 1 week.What do you see.

Nothing.

Same test, Spray once a day for 2 days and so on.

Don't breath on it. HAHA

Hello Chris –

Only the paper needs to be wet. The moisture content of the drywall at depth or as a bulk is unimportant.

Also, there is a time-to growth scale that incumbent on:

1) Genus

2) Species

3) Temperature

4) Available water

5) Substrate, and

6) Whether the moisture is rising, falling or static.

I actually have a mathematical model, developed by museum curators, that predicts time-to-growth for various parameters.

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell

Forensic Industrial Hygienist

www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

How long does common molds take to grow once a surface has reached conditions to support growth?

I believe it varies with the different molds, does it also vary with different substrates given equal active water levels?

Is the time about 2 days, 1 week or a month?

Chris, Oregon

It can be as short as two days before substantial growth is clearly visible. By then it is too late.

How long does common molds take to grow once a surface has reached conditions to support growth?

I believe it varies with the different molds, does it also vary with different substrates given equal active water levels?

Chris, Oregon

If I forget my clothes in the washing machine, it takes exactly two days.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Chris, Oregon

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Damn you, Katen!

I just sprayed my keyboard again and it'll be hours before I can get all of that coffee out of my nasal cavity. I think I might have forced some of it up behind my eyeballs!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Chris, Oregon

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Well then, Jim--

Based on the info provided by Mr. Connell subsequent to your post I am left to conclude that there must have been a preexisting growth on your clothes. Right?[;)]

Well then, Jim--

Based on the info provided by Mr. Connell subsequent to your post I am left to conclude that there must have been a preexisting growth on your clothes. Right?[;)]

Actually, you're probably right. I come out of crawlspaces reeking of mold & mildew. I suspect that, even after going through a wash cycle, all of the fungi aren't washed away. They're probably just very clean.

Still, If I forget a load of laundry in the washer, after two days it stinks of mildew through and through.

Caoimhín's data has to do with *visible* mold growth. I suspect that there's a period of time where the mold is growing but is not visible to our eyes.

- Jim Katen, Oregon