Decks and IRC

kurt

That was great until they decided to suggest that using screws would take care of the problem. What kind of screws? Where should you put them?

gtblum:

They were showing a Simpson Strong-Tie fastener and you can contact them for specific design information. If you are interested in the general subject of deck ledger connection design including connection to an Engineered Wood Product (EWP) Rimboard that is bearing on a sill plate, then you can review this document:

http://awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6.pdf

Frank Woeste

Professor Emeritus

Virginia Tech University

Blacksburg

I have a question, Frank. On page 12 of the AFPA document in your link, attaching a ledger board through brick veneer is prohibited. I realize that brick veneer isn't allowed to support anything other than its own weight, but it's exceedingly common for the fasteners to pass through the veneer and be anchored to the house's wooden floor system. In fact, I see that configuration on nearly a daily basis in my area.

What's the downside of installing fasteners through brick? Moisture infiltration through the holes?

The down side of installing the fasteners through the veneer and gaps is that you place the bolt into shear at more than one point. due to the lack of resistance (due to the gap) the shear is transfered into torque at several place along he shaft. You end up with a twisted broken fastener.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a picture of a deck I did last week. Besides many other problems, the joist hangers are a classic.

This is a townhouse development where they are all the same!

That's a deck built by pros. Nice.

Here's a photo of a deck built by a resident in my jurisdiction. He'd never built anything before. I answered a few of his questions then handed him a prescriptive deck building document I copied from somewhere and a Simpson Deck Accessory Catalog.

He's pretty proud and I told him I'd share the photos with you folks.

Darren's photo is why I don't use the terms professional or amateurish in my reports any longer. I still use "crappy" or "built by a fourth grader".

Click to Enlarge
tn_200991195420_firstdeck.jpg

51.71 KB

Chad please elaborate on this deck. From the limited view that we see in the picture, what about it didn't you like? Maybe some sway bracing? How tall was the deck off of the ground? The only thing that looks a little strange is how he attached the beams to the posts with those connectors, but it looks like he used these http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/DJTZ.asp

Though it would be nice to see some through bolts. Just curious.

Tony

Tony,

I think it's a swell deck. I posted it to share because it's a deck built nicely by a conscientious DIY'er

I'm sorry. I misunderstood your point. I thought the deck was nicely put together compared to some of the stuff I've been seeing lately.

The homeowner of this deck swears he paid someone to build it, but I suspect otherwise...but you never know.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009914105453_Deck.jpg

64.82 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009914105519_Deck1.jpg

44.47 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009914105543_Deck%20stairs.jpg

56.04 KB