Synchronizing Files

I use three computers (don't ask. . . )

It's a hassle trying to keep all the files current and in synch with each other.

Any ideas?

I have numerous computers in the home but only my laptop is my business computer. I shouldn't say that... my wifes computer has Quicken on it.

Your "don't ask" has me begging to ask why three computers? Inquiring minds need to know.

Desktop -main unit

Large laptop - when I used to do reports in field

10" laptop - great buy, awesome for travel and carrying, 6 hour batt. life., can work around the house away from my desk cuz its so light.

I'm just embarassed at the impulsive purchase of the 10" laptop. I really don't need it. Could've used the money for a Ridgid See Snake or more money toward an IR cam.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. . . .

I installed Microsoft's Synctoy. It worked fine while on vacation. All my data was synced succesfully to all three computers.

Returning from vacation, I went to sync my laptop which I used while away with my desktop. The Synctoy wiped out all my Outlook files from vacation!

Becasue Synctoy is a free application, it is not supported by MS. After researching this problem on Synctoy's discussion forum, come to find out that there are many problems with Synctoy.

Final analysis: Synctoy sucks. Don't use it.

Still looking for something else. . . .

Randy, after reading your original post I looked into Sync Toy, and found that people were complaining about how the new version didn't work very well. There is some free file sync software out there, you could try CNET downloads for starters. There's one called Good Sync that I was about to try before I realized that my new Asus netbook has a file sync utility already installed.

What brand of netbook do you have? If it's an Asus Eee, maybe you have Data Sync already. It's easy to use and works good, so far...

Sync Toy has three different options for tasks that one may want it to do. It's possible to loose things by the selection you make.

It's a glitch but I suspect the software is doing what you asked it to. In my case, everything originates from my laptop. On the Sync Toy, I only use the "contribute" function. It only runs one way and does not include deletes. I've never lost anything. It works great for me.

Sync Toy has three different options for tasks that one may want it to do. It's possible to loose things by the selection you make.

It's a glitch but I suspect the software is doing what you asked it to. In my case, everything originates from my laptop. On the Sync Toy, I only use the "contribute" function. It only runs one way and does not include deletes. I've never lost anything. It works great for me.

Using my best Rainman banter, "Definitely, definitely, I chose 'Synchronize' funtion, defintely - not 'Contribute'."

I'm pretty sure "synchronize" will duplicate deletes in both directions. You have to be careful using that choice, especially if others use the other computers. A person could accidentally delete a file from one machine. Then, the next time you sync, it's wiped from the other.

I stick with "contribute". You can pair as many folders you want in whatever direction you want. The "contribute" function will not duplicate deletes.

My desktop (old files) defnitely overwrote the laptop (new files). I never deleted anything on either machine so nothing should have been deleted. The new files should have synced/updated the old files.

I've also just now discovered some of my PDF's are wiped.

Specifically, my IRC 2006 - which I happen to need RIGHT NOW!