Improper vent termination

tnpappas

There are a couple of vent stacks on this roof that were covered with foil tape. These vents wobbled back and forth quite a bit because they were cut off in the attic. Would you suggest to have them removed and the roof repaired, or terminated with a better method?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009727141843_Mock%204%20090.jpg

77.31 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009727141929_Mock%204%20225.jpg

27.16 KB

I think the bigger question is what were these vents intended for and why are they not hooked up? Is the plumbing system vented or where these suppose to be the vents and they never got hooked up? Was there a remolding job and the vents have been moved and these are old?

Anyway to answer your question, I would say if they are not needed have them removed and the roof patched the next time the roof is replaced, unless you see signs of a probelm. I'm sure you'll get different opinions.

That's a little odd that someone would leave things like that. Sooner or later, the tape will fail. Probably before that time, though, the boot seal will lose its grip and the pipe will fall through the roof. If it's a long enough drop to the ceiling it could knock a hole in the drywall. But if not, it may not be noticed until there's a rainstorm. It wouldn't be very expensive to have the holes patched and the area reroofed. That would be my recommendation.