Estimated useful life of tile shower surround

Bryan

Rob,

You are very correct. This is for a property condition assessment I am completing with a replacement reserve. As part of that I have to input the estimated life of various components. I have a Physical needs Assessment packet I utilize for most items; however, it does not cover tile surrounds. As you mentioned tile, if properly maintained can go 60 plus years; however, in a multi family setting if it makes it 20-25 years you are lucky.

Thanks

Bryan

Well, I've seen tile installations that date to around 1905 that are doing just fine. Of course, they were laid on mortar beds with lead pans.

It's all dependent on substrate and water management details; the tile lasts "forever" if the substrates are satisfactory.

Give me the specific type tile substrate and installation methods, and I could toss a general lifespan chart at you. I see a lot of tile.

4 inch ceramic over 1970 drywall. Most of the grout in the units was shot. The attached photo is still an active shower, the tenants just did not feel like reporting the problem. I am just trying to back up a replacement reserve for complete surround replacement.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091111215742_CIC%20Tile%20damage.jpg

13.96 KB

Bryan

4 inch ceramic over 1970 drywall. Most of the grout in the units was shot. The attached photo is still an active shower, the tenants just did not feel like reporting the problem. I am just trying to back up a replacement reserve for complete surround replacement.

I installed tons of tile on 1970s drywall. It's got to be the worst way on earth to tile a surround. Woof! That's why I'm a home inspector - penance.

Honestly, I'm surprised that a 1970 tile-over-drywall installation in a multi-family setting is still in sound condition. If I were doing a CNA, I'd slate them all for replacement as soon as possible.

BTW, the Romans had bath surrounds that remained functional for hundreds of years. Some of them are still around, though I doubt that they're functional. But that's only because the Romans didn't keep up with their replacement reserve commitments.