Need a good electrician.

Brandon Whitmore

I've got a Realtor asking for the name of a really good electrician to start referring out.

Does anyone have a good one, especially for evaluation/repairs on older homes?

My neighbor, Jay Bentley (Bentley Electric 503 789-4229) does great work and he's an exceptionally nice guy.

I also really like Mike's Electric. 503 649-6991

- Jim in Oregon

Thanks Jim.

The cool thing is that this agent's electrician gave a clean bill of health to the last 2 old homes I inspected. I wrote up a number of issues (rev. polarity, old BX used as grounds and disconnected in areas, open ground 3 prongs, unsecured wires-- the other typical crap)-- not just upgrade recommendations. The electrician gave a clean bill of health to both homes and didn't recommend any repairs. Instead of the Realtor giving me crap, he got frustrated with the electrician and wants a new one.

So you wrote things up as needing attention and the electrician signed off and said no repairs were needed?

I've been working with this agent for about 8 years now. He is one of those guys that wants to do a good job for his client, so I believe him when he says that the electrician said everything was fine. I'm pretty sure he put it in writing as well-- maybe I should find out for sure as I'll see him tomorrow on a job.

Problem is, I don't know whether the electrician was handed my report or just an addendum asking him to evaluate the system and perform any repairs deemed necessary-- not that this should matter. I'll try to find out tomorrow.

Sounds like a top knotch Realtor - and a terrible electrical contractor! Keep up the good work guys!!!!

Hey, Jim, while you're here, do you have any insight to offer on the proper installation of comm cables regarding running boards, exposure to physical damage, & frequency of support? All I've got is 800.24, which is pretty flabby.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Nope - That's about it for low voltage and data cables. 800.24 does refer to 300.4 (d) and 300.11 for additional clarification. The simple answer is there are not rules like there are for Romex, MC, or conduit systems. With that said 800.24 does require the cables to be installed "in a neat and workmanlike manner."

Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon, I would recommend Tri-Star Electric (503-860-3838). Danny and his Father are really excellent. As for Mike's Electric, as per Jim K's recommendation: I had been referring therm for over 20 years, had inspected 3 homes personally for the owner during this time and when it was time to replace my trusty old FP panel (after it almost burned the house down twice in 1 week) I called the owner and he came out for a bid. Well, he was the highest of 4 electricians - I thought I might get some little "break" considering the fact that I had referred well over half a mill in the last 20 years but his was the highest of all ($3,800). Mind you - this was just a 200 amp change out! I sent out an inquiry on the local inspector site and Mark Stronich recommended Tri Star so I called. Danny's bid was $1,200 for the same work (and same panel). During the change out he noticed the main feed had been severely nicked when the house was built and replaced that also (at no charge since he didn't have it in his original bid) I gave him an extra $200.00 anyway so the total was $1,400) He was on time, courteous, and did a superb job (even as per Wa. County Inspector at final). Needless to say I recommend him for all work now and Mike's has not had a referral since then. Clients have had nothing but good things to say about them. Funny thing is that the owner of Mike's is in one of those "Le Tip" groups along with another inspector and keeps asking him why I don't refer him any more! He can piss up a rope as far as I am concerned!