Panel/Sub?Grounding

matto

Recent inspect of a home with 200A main service. 100A sub. The grounds and neutrals were seperated at the main panel with the grounds isolated from the panel. There was an additional ground wire to the well pump piping. There was plastic on both sides of the well piping and the house piping. There was an additional neutral that was rodded to the ground. The sub had the neutrals seperated and the grounds bonded. I do not think that the main panel should have the ground isolated let alone not grounded to the galvanized that is attached to the plastic. What sense does it make to ground the additional neutral.

Thanks,

Matt

Recent inspect of a home with 200A main service. 100A sub. The grounds and neutrals were seperated at the main panel with the grounds isolated from the panel.

Just so that I understand, when you say "main panel," you're talking about the service disconnect, right? There wasn't a disconnect outside at the meter or something like that, was there? The equipment grounds and the neutrals are supposed to be bonded at the service, not necessarily at the "main panel."

There was an additional ground wire to the well pump piping.

I don't understand. This additional wire ran from where to where?

There was plastic on both sides of the well piping and the house piping.

I don't know what that means.

There was an additional neutral that was rodded to the ground.

I don't know what that means. If there was a wire connected to a ground rod, that wasn't a neutral.

The sub had the neutrals seperated and the grounds bonded. I do not think that the main panel should have the ground isolated let alone not grounded to the galvanized that is attached to the plastic. What sense does it make to ground the additional neutral.

I suspect that you were misinterpreting some of what you saw. Do you have pictures?

Also, when trying to explain something like this, it's sometimes clearer to use school terms, like "equipment ground," "grounding electrode conductor," "bonding jumper," etc. It's not often clear what you mean by "ground."

- Jim Katen, Oregon