Piping for in-floor heat

mridgeelk

This is the first time I have seen this piping. It is marked for snowmelting and for in-floor heating. I thought my pictures would be clear enough to identify the manufacturer and type, not so. Anybody familiar with it?

Also this is the first time I have seen the manifold piping installed in this manner in an unconditioned area, the crawlspace. Any opinions about this installation? Thanks, Ed

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091124193242_pic%202.jpg

49.2 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091124193353_938%20Ryan%20Court%20037.jpg

43.97 KB

The black tubing looks a bit like "ONYX" by Watts, great stuff, but the install looks like a real mess. Radiant floor heating is a very exact science and every job is enginered to the specifications of the house. This looks like someone did not know what they were doing. I mean how is the heat supposed to radiate through the insulation?

This is the first time I have seen this piping. It is marked for snowmelting and for in-floor heating. I thought my pictures would be clear enough to identify the manufacturer and type, not so. Anybody familiar with it?

Also this is the first time I have seen the manifold piping installed in this manner in an unconditioned area, the crawlspace. Any opinions about this installation? Thanks, Ed

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091124193242_pic%202.jpg

49.2 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091124193353_938%20Ryan%20Court%20037.jpg

43.97 KB

There are numerous methods but this is the way I do it.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif UponorJoistTrak1 (Medium).jpg

94.16 KB

The foil back on the duct insulation reflects stray heat back to the floor. More insulation is installed underneath (not shown).

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif UponorJoistTrakNInsulation (Medium).jpg

63.16 KB

What you have there is an unknown.

Most of the piping is installed up against the subfloor with foil backed insulation below. Here is another picture of the sloppy manifold work

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009112503634_pic%203.jpg

42.55 KB.

I will recommend that a qualified heating contractor evaluate a way to straighten this mess out including insulating the exposed piping.

Thanks for all the information.