Washington State Permit Requirements

OK, I probably already know the answer to this one, but I told her I'd ask.

A Washington State customer had her baths & kitchen remodeled. Her contractor told her that, in Washington, you don't have to get permits for this kind of work as long as both the contractor and the customer agree to forego the permit process.

The work included replacing existing electrical & plumbing fixtures but not relocating them.

I say, "Liar, liar, pants on fire." The permit process has nothing to do with what the customer & contractor agree upon. Either the permit is required or it's not. As I see it, the permit is, technically, required. I understand that most people woudn't bother with it, but that's not the question.

Washingtonians?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Technically, I'd say he is full of it as far as state wide goes, but I believe most permits here are controlled by the various counties (if not within a large city) and maybe there's some county dollar amount limit? I barely know the name of those ones down your way...Klickimaniaitz? Where were you?

I thought the unofficial rule was if you don't have a building inspector attracting dumpster parked outside, then no permit needed. [;)]

Technically, I'd say he is full of it as far as state wide goes, but I believe most permits here are controlled by the various counties (if not within a large city) and maybe there's some county dollar amount limit? I barely know the name of those ones down your way...Klickimaniaitz? Where were you?

I thought the unofficial rule was if you don't have a building inspector attracting dumpster parked outside, then no permit needed. [;)]

That'd be Clark County. I suspect that he's just full of it.

I also suspect that your unofficial rule is closer to officialness than you might believe.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim,

This is from Clark county.

"3. Do I need a permit to.

Re-roof my house or shop?

A permit is required when the cost of labor and materials for your project exceed $1500 and/or if structural work, such replacing roof sheathing is being performed. Generally, only two layers of roofing may be applied; additional layers would require removal of existing layers.

Replace the siding on my house?

A permit is required when the cost of labor and materials for your project exceed $1500 and/or if structural work is being performed.

Replace a window in my house?

A permit is required if the total cost of labor and materials exceeds $1500 and/or if structural work is being performed.

Replace my toilet and bathroom sink?

Yes, 2003 UPC requires a permit for new installation of any plumbing fixtures."

" When does someone need a building permit?

Plumbing or mechanical additions or alterations regardless of dollar amount. (Electrical permits to be obtained through the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries.) "

http://www.clark.wa.gov/commdev/building/faqN.html

Jim,

This is from Clark county.

"3. Do I need a permit to.

Re-roof my house or shop?

A permit is required when the cost of labor and materials for your project exceed $1500 and/or if structural work, such replacing roof sheathing is being performed. Generally, only two layers of roofing may be applied; additional layers would require removal of existing layers.

Replace the siding on my house?

A permit is required when the cost of labor and materials for your project exceed $1500 and/or if structural work is being performed.

Replace a window in my house?

A permit is required if the total cost of labor and materials exceeds $1500 and/or if structural work is being performed.

Replace my toilet and bathroom sink?

Yes, 2003 UPC requires a permit for new installation of any plumbing fixtures."

" When does someone need a building permit?

Plumbing or mechanical additions or alterations regardless of dollar amount. (Electrical permits to be obtained through the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries.) "

http://www.clark.wa.gov/commdev/building/faqN.html

Thanks, Rob, that's perfect.

- Jim Katen, Oregon (and sometimes Washington)