Attic firebreak

barlyhop

Does anyone know if there is a code regarding firebreak in an attic space for multi family properties?

I inspected a 1995 side by side ranch. The attic had no fire seperation at all. The builder had hung some Tyvec around the scuttle area which is near the neighboring intersection of the two units...weird.

I have seen open attics like this in 1950's and prior to but never on a newer unit like this.

Thanks for your input!

Randy

I do not know if there is access in both units, but you may be on to something there! Good point. I did not observe a scuttle on the other side but I had little reason to inspect that area as it belongs to the other property owner.

This is a continuous gable roof across both units. The two units each had a different style ridge vent as well that came together at the centerpoint.

After reading the Wisconsin building code, it stated that a fire barrier is required in multi family units, don't know if the absence of a scuttle in the other unit would make a difference per code?

Thanks

Randy

Does anyone know if there is a code regarding firebreak in an attic space for multi family properties?

I inspected a 1995 side by side ranch. The attic had no fire seperation at all. The builder had hung some Tyvec around the scuttle area which is near the neighboring intersection of the two units...weird.

I have seen open attics like this in 1950's and prior to but never on a newer unit like this.

Thanks for your input!

Randy

Could the Tyvec be a skirt to prevent blown-in insulation from falling down through the hatch?

AFAIK, the presence or lack of a hatch in the neighbor's ceiling is irrelevant. The firewall is required to slow the spread of fire through the attic.

Thanks for your input!

Randy

Could the Tyvec be a skirt to prevent blown-in insulation from falling down through the hatch?

AFAIK, the presence or lack of a hatch in the neighbor's ceiling is irrelevant. The firewall is required to slow the spread of fire through the attic.

Yes, you need the firewall, I was asking about the scuttle hole in both apartments because without a wall, better hope your neighbor is either honest or dumb.

Matt

The scuttle was in the garage and had two hooks securing it from the inside.

I wrote it up as Verify compliance with local municipality and/or fire marshall. This is a small hick town, perhaps the building inspector is good friend of builder, an over sight or possibly a family occupied both units at time of occupancy. Home built in 1995. Regardless, I wrote it up to CYA.

Thanks for the insights!

Randy