AHIT Recomendations/ Problems?

Hey guys and gals. I'm just getting into the business and am planning on taking the AHIT training outside Milwaukee. Anyone recomend or discourage it? I would appreciate any input. I'm a rookie with these chat rooms so please bear with me. Also any suggestions about starting up my business would be great as well!!

John K

The Newcombers are long time "inspectors" and enjoy a good reputation, given their exposure. I have two inspectors that took that training and have mixed feelings regarding content. Like all inspector training, it is what you make of it. Send me an e/mail for details.

John,

Welcome,

Read everything that you can, Inspect as many dry run homes as you can, parents, friends etc.

Taking a course is a great idea. Finding a mentor is also an important step, you may want to consider a franchise. Have a written business plan. After you write the plan double your expenses and cut your projected sales in half, if you can still make it then go for it.

If you can get past the first year you have a good chance of getting to 5, if you get past 5 you beat the odds.

You can email me too if you would like.

Bruce

bruce@a-ztech.us

Thanks for the info. Do I just approach someone about mentoring or are there programs set up through some of the different associations? Did/Do you have one and if so, how did you contact him? I'm getting a little nervous about the time it takes to get started in this business from people in other forums but I can tell you I will do whatever it takes to learn, market or increase the business. I've recently been laid-off so I am motivated. I appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

John K

One of the most significant rites of passage into this profession involves sending 50 steak bucks from Omaha Steak Company to Hiram Appleby / 2425 Dewey Avenue/ Rochester, NY 14615

I assure you that it's a coincidence that Hiram has the same address as me.

After that's done John, read very post here and on other forums. Some of the answers are wrong so if there's any question in your mind do your own research.

For a year I've spent the hours between 4am and 8am reading online and the benefit has been tremendous. Adding to that education is the fact that inspectors are a egotistical, narcissistic lot that like to have the answers for everything. So you'll be trying to research answers to questions posted on the board as they arise. I haven't taken a courses yet, and I'm sure I'm doing it the hard way, but I think my education has been as complete as any offered.

What I left out is that I firmly believe the cream of the crop is represented here by the ten or twenty "guru's" of the profession.

One of the fastest ways to break into the profession, after training, is to work for a multi inspector firm. While you won't get all the money the volume should put you well ahead of the game and the added experience of doing more inspections in a shorter time period is invaluable. This is a very difficult business to break into but can be very rewarding once that is accomplished. I started on my own and it took over a year to become self sufficient, and that was years ago when the competition was about 20% what it is today.

One of the fastest ways to break into the profession, after training, is to work for a multi inspector firm. While you won't get all the money the volume should put you well ahead of the game and the added experience of doing more inspections in a shorter time period is invaluable.

************************************************************************************

Working for a inpection firm is something I never thought about. Can you make good $$$ working for someone else. I can see how it would be the shortcut to good experience.

By the way Chad, there is no steak that can compare to a Wisconsin Brat with kraut. I'll set you up with a gift pack after my first profitable year! Go Packers!

Seriously, I am really glad I found TIJ (strictly by accident). I've already gotten great advice from you guys and others and I've only been using it for a couple of days.