Shingle lawsuit

hoosier inspector

I recently saw a commercial about the Certainteed shingle class action lawsuit and have a few questions;

1. Is this affecting anybody's reports?

2. Is there any way to ID them?

3. What exactly is the problem with them?

4. Do they increase risk while walking the roof?

The shingles that are the subject of this lawsuit are organic asphalt shingles manufactured from July 1, 1987 through 2005 under the brand names Hallmark Shangle, Independence Shangle, Horizon Shangle, Custom Sealdon, Custom Sealdon 30, Sealdon 20, Sealdon 25, Hearthstead, Solid Slab, Master Slab, Custom Saf-T-Lok, Saf-T-Lok, and Custom Lok 25.

Any information is appreciated.

You should not really be concerned with class action lawsuits and how you write your report. Report what you find and you will be doing your job. If you find cracking or splitting shingles then report them as such; it is a difficult task to ID a particular brand of shingle and call them defective.

Okay, I was thinking "recall" when I seen lawsuit. I try to get as much info for my customers as possible. It must be a small sample of shingles, the roofers I've talked to so far have never used them.

Thanks.

I had them on my home in Mississippi, Katrina took care of them before I filed a claim. They were fairly widespread and from what I could tell most were installed in the early to mid 1990's and it took about 8-10 years for the cracks to start showing in them. It took about 8 years on my home before I could see any cracking.

The lawsuit is a class action and the homeowner will not get enough money to replace the shingles. If you make a claim against the company you only get a prorated value for the cost of the shingles and not the installation.