Identification of foundation wall material

mthomas1

Thanks, it certainly looked like vitrified clay tile in that pic by the water meter but I'd never before seen VCT without a "ribbed" surface, and large unit size and slightly curved edges in the pic by the dryer left me wondering if I could be looking at some sort of cast concrete block.

Thanks, it certainly looked like vitrified clay tile in that pic by the water meter but I'd never before seen VCT without a "ribbed" surface, and large unit size and slightly curved edges in the pic by the dryer left me wondering if I could be looking at some sort of cast concrete block.

Structural terra cotta, unless it is intended to be exposed to the exterior (like silo tile), isn't vitrified.

Terra cotta conduit was vitrified, but was never manufactured to be used as a building material. Obviously it has and has performed quite well. I've read that it was probably used in foundations and buildings in Chicago more than elsewhere.

There's a rural area in South Jersey, near where much of the conduit was manufactured, where a large collection of different buildings were constructed with surplus and reject conduit.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010325212135_teltile2.jpg

24.09 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201032521216_teltile1.jpg

28.21 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201032521220_teltile3.jpg

29.19 KB

Cherry E. of Green Bay and W. of ridge.

Ridge, Green Bay, and Cherry all sort of come together right there in a triangle; can't be east of GB and W. of Ridge.

No matter. There used to be a bunch of those all through that neighborhood. Lots of folks did an interior concrete wall with drain tiles, so a lot of them are no longer visible.