Falling soldiers

I saw evidence of minimal movement in the foundation; cmu walls very slightly bowed in this 1927 wood framed, stucco coated home. The foundation walls are about 7 feet tall and this wall has roughly a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch bow inward about 42 inches from the base. it's a typical bow likely caused by driveway runoff.

No discernible structural movement anywhere in the home. All the doors are original and have clearances of 3/32" at the top and sides, no broken plaster, the home has all original sash. I spent the better part of an hour trying to figure out why this course of brick is tipped out at the top in this location and another that's perpendicular to this location on the adjacent wall.

Any ideas?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201033020581_P3300148%20(Medium).jpg

71.87 KB

Was it frost heave pushing the bottom of the brick inward?

No discernible movement. The sill has the same exposure over the foundation wall the length of the wall. If the sill and the wall were flush, they'd be flush the entire length.

How's about water draining behind the stucco then behind the brick, then freezing.

I though of that. I actually suggested that to the folks at the inspection but the reality of that possibility didn't sink in until just now when I read Brandon's post and your question.

Right above this area is a window with the head flashing all gooed up. It's copper flashing so I doubt it's leaking, but above that window is a badly detailed roof to wall junction that's created an issue w/ the stucco in that area. It's two stories up but I bet that's why someone thought the window was leaking and it could be the source of water that pushed the bricks out.

Any other ideas?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010330214158_P3300151%20(Medium)%20(2).jpg

51.76 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010330214242_P3300163%20(Medium).jpg

52.11 KB

What is the grate thingy in the photo? Window well to the basement...or drain? Is that another towards the truck? Was there a similar grate/well at the "tipping" at the adjacent wall?

It may be an optical illusion, but it looks like the driveway is sloped away from the house(?). I sure don't see any disturbance of the leaf debris that would suggest runoff towards the grating.

My best advise would be to hire someone named Chad to look at it in person.

I think Richard is on to something. What is supporting the brick where they span the basement windows? I wouldn't be surprised if they rest right on the window trim, unusually nice construction or not. 1927 brickmold that close to grade is gonna be in pretty poor condition. As the soldiers lose bearing surface and roll out mid span the soft mortar allows adjacent brick to follow, and once they project beyond the stucco they capture run off and speed the process up while extending it outward from the windows.

Call for a really short bricky to straighten them out. I hate working on stuff at ankle height.

Tom