PEX / Water Heater quick question.

mgbinspect

Can anyone tell me pretty quickly if on new construction it's acceptable to have PEX as the extension tube and the first 8" of the leads off the water heater. I am under the impression they're not, but don't want to call it if something is changed. This is the color coded PEX - Blue and Red "B137.5 100PSI 2 180"

Thanks in advance for a quick-turn on this one.

Can anyone tell me pretty quickly if on new construction it's acceptable to have PEX as the extension tube and the first 8" of the leads off the water heater. I am under the impression they're not, but don't want to call it if something is changed. This is the color coded PEX - Blue and Red "B137.5 100PSI 2 180"

Thanks in advance for a quick-turn on this one.

The ZURN installation book says 6" on a gas water heater and direct connection with an approved fitting on an electric.

Found this for you Mike:

Though polybutylene, cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) and some derivatives of these very flexible piping materials are listed under table 605.4 in the IPC, the table that defines acceptable pipe for TPR discharge, you should check with your local authority for a list of approved materials. Because of the difficulty in securing and maintaining proper slope without some trapping and because these pipes sometimes use insert fittings, they can restrict and reduce the flow. They may not be approved in your area or have some restrictions if used.

A default to the AHJ?

Source - The ASHI Reporter:

http://www.ashireporter.org/articles/ar ... px?id=1568

This is quoted from the Zurn PEX guide. I'm not sure what you mean by 'extension tubes'.

Zurn PEX may be connected directly to electric water heaters for residential plumbing applications. Zurn PEX has brass male and female threaded adapters and swivel adapters that can be used for this

application.

Zurn PEX must be kept at least 6" away from the exhaust vent of a gas-fired water heater. This is easily accomplished by using flexible water heater connectors.

When the inlet and outlet connections are well away from the exhaust vent, such as most heaters with side connections, Zurn PEX may be connected directly to the water heater.

Marc