Hot Tub/NEC 680 Info needed for Newbie Homeowner

Hi:

I"m just a homeowner hoping to install a hot tub in the best location for my small backyard. The City gave me a Building Permit today with my desired hot tub placement, but also a big note saying I needed to comply with NEC 680.

I've attached a picture showing my backyard plan with my desired hot tub placement (the plan that the City approved today).

I"ve downloaded Mike Holt's great Article 680 for swimming pools, but I'm not sure that I thoroughly understand the overhead conductor clearances -- or maybe it's wishful thinking because of my desired placement of my proposed hot tub :-)

My electrical conductor lines are more than 22.5 feet above the highest level of the hot tub. The location of where the conductor line comes into the house is more than 22.5feet from the edge of proposed hot tub.'

HOWEVER, the overhead lines are HORIZONTALLY less than, say, 2 feet from the edge of the hot tub. (So, to make a picture... you could stand 2 feet from edge of proposed hot tub and look up and the conductor wires are 22.5+ feet right above your head.

I"m hoping for an interpretation that says if the wires are 22.5 feet above you, then all is well, BUT if they are NOT 22.5 feet above you, THEN you need 10 foot horizontal clearance. Please, please...I hope.

If I have to move the hot tub over 9 feet,(to keep 10 ft horizontal from overhead conductors) it will sit in the middle of my (very small) yard, and just not function effectively for our family needs. If I can leave the hot tub over near the fence (the overhead conductor wires run diagonally from fence line at rear of lot to roof of house with 3' setback), then placement is great.

Is there any support for my interpretation or is it 10'horizontal AND 22.5 in any direction? and I'm @#$%ed???

Any thoughts, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Marilyn

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif approved plan partial.jpg

291.16 KB

What does the city say about the clearances you are stating in this thread? Since the city (AHJ) will have the final say in the matter, that is really who needs to tell you Yea or Nae on the clearance.

One reason for that height clearance is because of the pool cleaning equipment and long poles.

I"m hoping for an interpretation that says if the wires are 22.5 feet above you, then all is well, BUT if they are NOT 22.5 feet above you, THEN you need 10 foot horizontal clearance.

You have that right...and I agree with Chad. If they are within 10' measured horizontally from the edge of the pool then they need to be 22.5' above the water level and any pool deck within that 10'. In the case of a hot-tub I would interpret that to mean 22.5' above the highest rim of the tub.

So, yes, directly overhead is allowed, but you have to maintain the height clearance.

Yeah! I have two votes for OK directly overhead IF 22.5+ above top height of hot tub (I do have that 22.5 above top height).

To answer question about the City...when I got the permit, I asked the inspector and he just said I had to comply with NEC 680 and pointed to the diagram in 680 which they had stapled to my plan (which shows the 22.5, 10', etc.clearances) and when I pointed out on my plan the location of the wires and the hot tub -- which were maybe 2 feet apart horizontally -- he just said again, you have to comply with NEC 680 (not much help, huh). Any other comments most welcome...

Thanks. Marilyn