Hardie Siding

Statenmom

What happens when the soffits and eves get wet? I have been trying my installers to fix the horrible job they did for 18months in the mean time my eves have been getting wet and going through freeze thaw. Do I need to have them replace the siding? Ohh yeah and the color is bubbling off!

What happens when the soffits and eves get wet? I have been trying my installers to fix the horrible job they did for 18months in the mean time my eves have been getting wet and going through freeze thaw. Do I need to have them replace the siding? Ohh yeah and the color is bubbling off!

I don't really understand the first part of your post, but I did get a call today from a person who has Hardiplank siding and it is having finish problems as well. Hardi thinks that it is a primer problem with the batch of the Hardiplank.

You might want to contact the manufacturer.....

Basically what is happening is when the replaced the drip edges they ripped up my ice sheild and rake edge and did not allow any of the shingles to over hang! So the water flows under the drip edge and under the eves and fascia board. Also they did not seal a joint between my roof and my chimney chase. I live were we get 300" of snow a year. I am trying to get you pics.

Statenmon,

Can you take an establishing shot -- that would help greatly.

In my climate, I've never seen fiber cement materials become so deteriorated that they needed be replaced. Not unless there are installation errors with the product.

Fiber cement does not rot, but absorbs/ holds quite a bit of water. My concern would not be with the fiber cement, but with materials behind it. It sounds like ice damming, leak, and roof issues need to be addressed, materials need to be removed for further examination of hidden components, etc.

Either hire the best inspector in your area, or the best contractor you can find to go out there and determine what all needs to be done.

The roof was new in 2007 a complete tear down and replacement. The siding was replaced in 2008. I hired a home inspector and he determined that the new drip edge was placed only under the bit and shingles. I am uploading a pic of the way the siders replaced the Flashings.