Sherwin Willaims Paint

Ben H

A few weeks ago I decided it was time to paint the soffit, facia, etc... I wish I had the money to wrap it, but don't. Painting it was the only option at this time.

I fancy myself a decent painter, use high end brushes, and follow the sun. I've used just about every paint brand you can name, from cheap Wal-Mart crap, to high end Porter. I thought I liked Porter's untill last week.

I went with SW Duration this time. WOW is all I can say. This stuff is like silk, thick silk, but sliky smooth nonetheless. SW rep said to apply it about 8 mil thick, I thought this was a tad thick, but after using it I understand.

I did a color change this time, from almond to white. SW told me it's a self priming, one coat paint, blah, blah , blah. I've had that song played in my ear many times before. If I try to get one coat, I get runs. If I spread it out to get it smooth, I need two coats. So I was a bit leary of the claims.

After washing my house, caulking the gaps, etc, I was ready to paint. I was in love after the first brush stroke, this stuff is amazing. Goes on like no other paint I've seen before. It dryes flat with no brush strokes, and won't scatch off. Dare I say "fun" to use. I'm just about finished with the whole house now I can't come up the a negative thing about the paint. I'm sure SW is not available everywhere, but if you can get your paws on it, give it a try, you won't be sorry.

The ONLY downside (not negative) I can think of is the cost. Retail is $60.00 a gallon. Not cheap, but SW has sales all the time, and a $10.00 off $50.00 coupon the website. I ended up paying around $44.00 a gallon. Well worth the extra $10.00 bucks a gallon vs the other guys.

Two big thumbs up!

My Brother is a contractor rep for SW.

I'll ask him if they can use you in their next commercial.

Man Gary, thats rough.[:D]

Na, I was kidding with you.

I've also had an eye opening experience with their prep right interior primer. The primer covered about a mile of new rock in one coat, and the bucket never emptied.

You get what you pay for. It's good stuff.

Nice going, Ben! Look what you started.

A painting contractor friend of mine, just happened to stop by the same afternoon you posted this. He's a Duration fan too. He likes to spray it.

So now, some of the money put aside for a shiny new set of Cleveland irons, is going toward paint. I hate when my responsibilities take away from my priorities.

At least the brother's discount will help. I'm getting fit for the new irons today anyway. After I get done with more scraping!

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010526113631_015.jpg

85.27 KB

You plan on primering the house first?

Nope. The brother says I might need two coats on that side. That's it.

You're not supposed to need primer with this paint.

Thats what I was told as well, but I put a coat of Zinger on bare wood just to be safe.[;)]

At the day job we're doing our best to incorporate lead safety into our policies and routine, sorta. We're dragging our feet a bit with the investment in hepa vacs, with three trucks to equip we want to get good tools the first time. We will be fully equipped and well practiced by the time the grace period expires. My contractor customers are still stomping their feet and whining about it, only one is certified.

As an HI, I have made several attempts to get an informed interpretation on just what is expected of inspectors (we are specifically listed in the Action as affected entities). No one seems to know. I have been lead certified for years and have a blurb about lead paint that I include in my reports. I have also downloaded the EPA brochure to forward to affected clients. If an inspector doesn't at least do that much I think there could be some significant liability. I've also added my RRP certification number to all of my business signatures.

Tom

Kinda sounds like here.

I've thought about getting the cert. It's about $800 here by the time you're done. That's made me drag my feet pretty hard.

It's all a bunch of well intentioned mess, imho. There's going to be about 1 enforcement action every 1 1/2 years because there's no one to enforce the rules. The muni guy's I talk to don't even know what I'm talking about.

Some poor contractor will make a teeny mistake, and they'll get hammered so some bureaucrat can show diligence in enforcement.

What's silly is, any decent contractor already does most or all of what the new rules require anyway.

My cert was around $200, and if I ever get an answer out of the EPA or TSCA folks about it, the firm certification for my company will be another $300 if I need it (double that for multi state and/or tribal areas). Both are good for 5 years, and that puts it in the realm of my licensing fees (per annum).

The proposed fines have already served their purpose, everybody is talking about this rule, we're all aware this time around. The last effort in 2004, that made it manditory for contractors to pass out pamphlets, nobody ever heard about. That said, it's gonna be the guy that plays by the rules that gets slapped with a 'put you out of business' fine, they're the easy ones to catch.

Tom

I'm actually glad the enforcement burden got placed on the AHJs, at least all the players know each other. It could be a whole lot worse.

Seven years ago my son had an extremely high BLL, his pediatrician was required by law to report me to the County Health Dept. I was forced to move out of my house until the lead hazards could be controlled or removed. If I hadn't been certified to do the remediation work my self I'd probably still be dinking around with twit from the County. I had the whole house and all it's contents cleaned and controls in place weeks before I got my to do list from DOH, then 9 months later she shows up unannounced and wants to inspect my work. I told her to leave and that if she ever set foot on my property again I'd have her arrested for trespassing.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

We just had a custon paint job done on our entire interior and used SW Promar 200 and 400. The contractor had an account with SW and we used his account and save lots of money. The average SW Promar 200 flat cost 49.95 street price, but with his account we got it for 18.95-19.95 per gallon depending on the base used. The most we had to pay was for the trim (white chip) which was 30 plus dollars a gallon. We saved over 50% on the total purchase.

My wife was so impressed with the paint and prices that we are the proud owners of about 10 different earth tone colors in the home. The colors complement each other nicely.

Robert

ATEX Inspects

www.atexinspects.com

A few weeks ago I decided it was time to paint the soffit, facia, etc... I wish I had the money to wrap it, but don't. Painting it was the only option at this time.

I fancy myself a decent painter, use high end brushes, and follow the sun. I've used just about every paint brand you can name, from cheap Wal-Mart crap, to high end Porter. I thought I liked Porter's untill last week.

I went with SW Duration this time. WOW is all I can say. This stuff is like silk, thick silk, but sliky smooth nonetheless. SW rep said to apply it about 8 mil thick, I thought this was a tad thick, but after using it I understand.

I did a color change this time, from almond to white. SW told me it's a self priming, one coat paint, blah, blah , blah. I've had that song played in my ear many times before. If I try to get one coat, I get runs. If I spread it out to get it smooth, I need two coats. So I was a bit leary of the claims.

After washing my house, caulking the gaps, etc, I was ready to paint. I was in love after the first brush stroke, this stuff is amazing. Goes on like no other paint I've seen before. It dryes flat with no brush strokes, and won't scatch off. Dare I say "fun" to use. I'm just about finished with the whole house now I can't come up the a negative thing about the paint. I'm sure SW is not available everywhere, but if you can get your paws on it, give it a try, you won't be sorry.

The ONLY downside (not negative) I can think of is the cost. Retail is $60.00 a gallon. Not cheap, but SW has sales all the time, and a $10.00 off $50.00 coupon the website. I ended up paying around $44.00 a gallon. Well worth the extra $10.00 bucks a gallon vs the other guys.

Two big thumbs up!