Moisture Meter Recommendations

redquill

Yes, it sends ultrasound beams into the material a certain depth,then measures the resistance between those two beams. It's magic, actually.

Ultrasound? My impression was that it used electromagnetic waves.

The meter can be designed to read at any depth that the designers choose. Some include surface moisture in their readings, some disregard the surface moisture, and some allow the user to choose whether or not to disregard it. Check out this review:

http://www.moisturemeters.com/moisture- ... ers-equal/

Great review. I know what I didn't before. Damn their eyes for not including the SM in the lineup.

Is a combo moisture meter (like the SM) like other combo tools, i.e., does each job kinda halfassed, or is it a great combo tool?

The Protimeter SM works great as a pinless meter. I haven't used it in pin form in a long time. I think if I had to buy a new meter, I'd get the slightly cheaper pinless. I've always got my Hydrosensor shotgun for a pin type meter, couldn't lose it if I wanted to.

I made that up about ultrasound. Moisture (and metal) conducts electricity better than dry material.

Great review. I know what I didn't before. Damn their eyes for not including the SM in the lineup.

Is a combo moisture meter (like the SM) like other combo tools, i.e., does each job kinda halfassed, or is it a great combo tool?

My opinion: it's more than adequate for what we do.

On the other hand, I like the redundancy of having one of each. I use my Wagner pinless several times on every job and I pull out the Delmhorst pin meter about once a week, but neither is "better" than the SM. If I had to lighten my bag, I'd probably get a SM.

• 8 months later...

I am a new home inspector and i am looking to purchase a moisture meter. Does anyone have any thoughts on a good meter that will perform all of the needs of a home inspector, but not break the bank? Your thought would be greatly appreciated.

Abatix.com has a variety of moisture meters that are priced very reasonably as opposed to the really expensive ones. They are good for dry wall, paper, wood, and concrete. Here's a link to one: ["http://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=DRIF213&catlist=76" Dri-Eaz WetChec Moisture Detector 10/CS]