Rust coming through 100% acrylic Stuccoat

Shawn Miller

Do you know the name of the manufacturer that produced the system used on your house? Some manufacturers use silica sand for texture which sometimes contains iron particles and will rust. What pattern do the rust stains make? Any photo available?

Marc

The product is called an elastomeric F-14 Western Stucco products and an Eisenwall crack resistant base coat.

The cracks with rust look like the stucco is leaching. It is rusting on the corners of the house, around some of the windows and then on some of the big wall where the weather really gets to it. I will take some pictures!

Thank you!

Shawn

The product is called an elastomeric F-14 Western Stucco products and an Eisenwall crack resistant base coat.

The cracks with rust look like the stucco is leaching. It is rusting on the corners of the house, around some of the windows and then on some of the big wall where the weather really gets to it. I will take some pictures!

Thank you!

Shawn

Sounds like water is seeping in and the wire lath is rusting. Short of tearing it off and replacing all you can do is stop the water and recoat it.

Is this usual for 3.5 year old high end construction?

Actually, it is sort of "usual". There's a whole lot of "high end construction" stucco that's really messed up.

Several of the engineered claddings don't perform in the manner intended for multiple reasons, almost all having to do with failure caused by moisture.

Personally, I'm not a fan of elastomerics. I can imagine a lot of problems simply because it's an elastomeric. I've never seen one work satisfactorily.

Not to say it can't be done, but I've never seen it done, and I've seen a lot of elastomeric coatings.

• 4 weeks later...