How long would you wait?

gtblum

I know the SOP and our contracts state that all the utilities should be on, but I think it would be fun to be there when they turn the water on, especially if it starts leaking everywhere. Be sure to get a picture of your clients expression for the report.[:D]

Seriously, if they're just getting around to dewinterizing the place now I'd want to be there.

I know the SOP and our contracts state that all the utilities should be on, but I think it would be fun to be there when they turn the water on, especially if it starts leaking everywhere. Be sure to get a picture of your clients expression for the report.[:D]

Seriously, if they're just getting around to dewinterizing the place now I'd want to be there.

I know the plumber. I'd rather get his reaction so his brother and I could bust on him. The client is in the land down under. No worries mate.

I require the water be on 24 hours. I Had a ceiling fall down during the night after I inspected the house. There was a small drip on a joint that was in the attic that was not accessible and dripped into the insulation and the weigh of the water in the insulation and the wet sheet rock fell during the night.

Tom

I require the water be on 24 hours. I Had a ceiling fall down during the night after I inspected the house. There was a small drip on a joint that was in the attic that was not accessible and dripped into the insulation and the weigh of the water in the insulation and the wet sheet rock fell during the night.

Tom

A small drip did all that in one night? Or did I misunderstand you?

That was kind of scary. There was plenty to see. A real good idea to have a plumber there at the time. Problem is, They ran right out and turned it all back off when I was done. The plumber is scheduled to go back Thursday and fix some or all of what could be seen today. He (a guy my friend sent out) seemed to be under the impression that I was there to make up his punch list. He wanted to know if he should wait for my report. I had to make it very clear, very quick. Have the plumber fix this, this, and whatever else HE may find.

Originally posted by Tom Rollins

Tom

If the house was de-winterized or the water turned on, just for my inspection - I make sure it is back off when I leave.

On a system with a water meter, I would think that a leak would be fairly easy to catch.

Don't your meters have the little triangles on them? If there's a leak on the order of a drop per second, you'll see the triangle move in under a minute.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

My old one did. About a year ago the water dept came through and replaced all the meters on my street. My new meter sucks. I have to run several gallons per minute through it to see it move at all, it's noisey, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't 'zeroed' when they installed it (or they made a major math mistake). My first bill on the new meter was for 3 times my normal consumption, the only such spike in the 11 years I've been there.