First Angie's List Posting

Just got notified of my first Angie's List Posting and I thought I would Share (brag!). Removed my client's name and posted a copy. For those of you that have had this happen, does it result in more work/referrals?

Member:

Confidential

Categories:

Home Inspection

Architects & Building Design

Work Done:

Yes

* More Weight is given to a report where work has been completed.

Work Completed Date:

July 23, 2010

Hire Again:

Yes

Approximate Cost:

$700.00

Description Of Work:

Inspection of two-family home including termite and radon tests

Member Comments:

My wife and I are purchasing a two-family home. Just a few weeks prior to this inspection, the same inspector helped save us from a near financial disaster by revealing severe fire damage in a home that we had previously wanted to purchase. We brought Steve in again to inspect this house. Though he didn't do the termite and radon tests himself, he arranged everything, which saved us a lot of extra time. He and the termite inspector arrived at the same time, both totally punctual. As we went through the house, he didn't just take his own notes, he showed me everything that he was seeing and when I didn't understand something, took his time explaining to me whatever needed explaining. Steve is extremely thorough. By his own admission, he is not the inspector that brokers recommend. He is the inspector that lawyers recommend. Why? Because in addition to being extremely detail-minded, he is also an architect. So, if he sees something that he doesn't like, no matter how small, he'll let you know about it. If there's any negative about this contractor, it might be that he's almost a little too detail oriented. But as far as I'm concerned, that's fine. He provided us with exactly the information we needed to go back to our seller and negotiate for certain necessary repairs. He was always available for follow up phone conversations, and even came out to the property a second time when it became obvious that some stored items on the property would need to be removed in order to finish the initial inspection. If and when my wife and I look to acquire any additional property in the area, he is the only inspector I would use. Not only did he save us from a potentially disastrous purchase the first time we used him, he's a super nice guy. Very professional, prompt, courteous, and above all, honest!

Overall A

Price A

Quality A

Responsiveness A

Punctuality A

Professionalism A

Additional Questions Answered when completing this report

How much did the final cost compare to the original estimate? right on

How does the value of the work compare to the price? I got more than my money's worth

How far in advance did you schedule the work? within a week

Did you find the company through Angie's List? no

If no, what was the other source? Referral from our attorney.

Why did you choose this contractor? other, strength of the referral

Have you used this company before? I've used this company before

What did you like most about this contractor? He's prompt, professional, fast, honest and nice. What more could you want?

What did you like least about this contractor? I think he might have a tendency to overstate the severity of certain issues he finds.

What surprises came up during the course of the work? None

What words of advice would you give other members considering this contractor? Don't even bother making any other calls. His price is reasonable and you will get a very detailed report very quickly.

Steven,

Pretty nice! I think Angie's list folks tend to be better communicators (writers).

We have been around Angie's list for several years and get 8-10 inspections per year as a direct result of participation. BTW, we have an incrediblely bad review that has had a reverse effect. Take the good with the bad!

Nice job!

I've been paying to be on Angie's list for several months now and have to date only gotten one caller who said they saw me on Angie's list. When they roped me into paying $129 a month they promised my phone would be ringing off of the hook. When I called them and asked why my phone wasn't ringing they told me it was because I don't have enough reports. My response was "how am I supposed to get you reports without you getting my phone to ring?" There is one other paying inspector in Austin and he gets sent ALL the leads because he's been around long enough, as the ONLY paying inspector, to build up 8 reports as opposed to my 2. If you get there first the payed advertising looks to work well but if someone is already established on Angie's list good luck getting any jobs from Angie. I'm very disappointed and feel I've wasted several hundred dollars but I'm happy it's doing good things for you!

I'm with Les.... You do not pay to be listed on Angie's List, you pay to be a member and find folks to take care of your needs. Maybe they have a special program that I'm not aware of.

I had a great comment last week by a client who found me on Angie's List.. I have never paid a cent to Angie's List.

Yes you can indeed be "on" Angie's list for free and thus are rotated periodically to "near" the top of the list. As a paid advertiser you stay at the top all the time. Or so I was told. They went so far as trying to rope me into a 12 month contract at $129 per month but I talked them into a 4 month trial and am so very glad I didn't commit to the full 12 months. So far it's been a tragic waste of money for me.

They are acting sympathetic and making noises about things that MAY help but it all comes down to who has the most reports. I explained to them that I'm very good at what I do and if they were as good at what they do my phone would be ringing and I'd have no problem generating reports. I have a bunch on my facebook site and other places but those can't be transferred over because they aren't from Angie's list customers.

Hey if it works for you then take full advantage of it and get your nickel's worth. I'm finding that what works for others may not work for me and vice versa.

George,

I don't pay many of the bills personally anymore, but I am quite sure we do not pay anywhere near that fee!

I'll check, but I think it is just a fraction.

Kurt,

What does it cost you?

I don't pay a thing. They pump me continually to get in their expensive (overpriced) advertising area, but I don't, and won't. I've just got the standard listing, i.e., folks review me that's that.

It's definitely a good source of work for me. I don't get a lot, but probably 8-10 jobs a year out of it, at no expense.

I think I have one mildly negative report about something I'm not even sure of......someone told me about it.......I should look....

Which takes us back to Les' comment; get one bad report, and it can pretty much kill future referrals. I love Angie's list customers, but I've also found them to be a more than a little know-it-allish, and quick to make judgements about stuff that they don't understand.

Congrats though, Hockstein........it's a good place to be.

• 3 weeks later...