Stains on slab and stucco

Inspectorjoe

This is from a 1 year warranty inspection.

The first issue is in the basement slab. The seller said these brown stains mysteriously appeared after she moved in. I have no idea what caused them. Any ideas?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010112301234_1%20125.jpg

16.61 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201011230132_1%20127.jpg

40.02 KB

The other issue is staining under the windows at the stucco exterior. It looks like it was caused by chalking paint, but the house is only a year old and there are no painted surface anywhere near the windows. I've seen this many times before, but never really made an issue of it. I'd like to be able to tell the owner what caused it.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201011230194_1%20010.jpg

47.78 KB

This is from a 1 year warranty inspection.

The first issue is in the basement slab. The seller said these brown stains mysteriously appeared after she moved in. I have no idea what caused them. Any ideas?

Some of the aggregate has hematite crystals. Hematite= very common iron ore in our area.

The other issue is staining under the windows at the stucco exterior. It looks like it was caused by chalking paint, but the house is only a year old and there are no painted surface anywhere near the windows. I've seen this many times before, but never really made an issue of it. I'd like to be able to tell the owner what caused it.

It's normal for titanium dioxide in the vinyl on non-glossy windows to chalk. If the vinyl is supposed to be the glossy, something went wrong.