Jetted tub access holes

Richard Moore

Today's tiled-in jetted tub had one of those almost inaccessible access holes inside the vanity cabinet, only found after removing drawers. It was at the drain/faucet end of the tub but the motor and associated wiring was out of sight (doubtful there was GFCI in this case).

My question is...what do you consider the main purpose of the access to be? Does it need to provide direct access to the motor or is it to disconnect the drain and supply plumbing, so that the whole thing can be lifted out for service, etc?

I don't envy the plumber who is going to have to investigate the small, active wet patch I discovered at the ceiling directly below. I hope he is a skinny contortionist.

Today's tiled-in jetted tub had one of those almost inaccessible access holes inside the vanity cabinet, only found after removing drawers. It was at the drain/faucet end of the tub but the motor and associated wiring was out of sight (doubtful there was GFCI in this case).

My question is...what do you consider the main purpose of the access to be? Does it need to provide direct access to the motor or is it to disconnect the drain and supply plumbing, so that the whole thing can be lifted out for service, etc?

I don't envy the plumber who is going to have to investigate the small, active wet patch I discovered at the ceiling directly below. I hope he is a skinny contortionist.

From the Washington State Plumbing Code:

414.1 A removable panel shall be provided to access and remove the pump.