SEPTIC TEMPLATE

Do you plan to locate the tank hatch and remove it, and also check out the distribution box, which is often toast on old systems? And do you know what to look for once you have access? If not, you're wasting your customer's time and setting yourself up for a lawsuit.

Too, I don't know about PA, but around here, the health department has to take a look before everything is covered back up, which typically entails a second visit to the house.

Jason,

Are you a member of PSMA? I see you have them listed on your website. I take it you have a lot of experience with septic systems to include inspecting the different treatment tanks, distribution systems, siphons/pumps and

absorption areas. If that is the case, just set up a word template with all of that information on it. Explain what type of system it is, status of the tank(not sure how you can tell without pumping it), status of the pump(s) and drain field. Also keep in mind that you are going against your associations SOP. Maybe the iachi crew can make something up for this type of inspection. Have you tried their forum? Does your HI insurance cover you on this?

Its apparantly different in P.A. , for the most part every home inspector here is performing septic inspections as per FHA guidelines. It is required for an FHA loan to have water, septic, and termite but not structure. Kind of Ironic due to the fact that termite isnt an issue but radon is and thats NOT required.

There aren't very many HIs in PA performing septic inspections. Those that do offer to do them sure aren't doing them to "FHA guidelines".

Someone mentioned you have PSMA on your website. Why wouldn't you be doing the inspections according to the PSMA guidelines? Why would you consider addressing septic systems without the PSMA certification?

My wifes an agent. Every inspector she uses does them. I was basing my stats on the facts In our area.

Jason:

You're basing your stats on the inspectors your wife "uses", not the facts in our area (I'm no more than 15 miles away from you). Around here, as Bill said, most inspectors don't do septic.

BTW, here's something you'd probably want to know. On the Amerispec Specialty Services page, much of the info and links are the same as yours. In fact, the septic info, as well as the water testing info is exactly the same, word for word. Also, the radon links are identical.

http://www.amerispec.com/inspectionserv ... vices.aspx

http://comfortspecpa.com/specialty-services.html#water

It's hard to believe that a company as big as Amerispec (owned by ServiceMaster) would plagiarize from your website, which is probably pretty new. You might want to alert your attorney about this. Copyright infringement (especially when involving a large company) can be pretty serious. It's a good thing you have this at the bottom of your page: © 2011 ComfortSpec Home Inspection Services - All Rights Reserved

Jason:

I see that emb4 has template websites that you can customize yourself. You might want to see if you can convert the site they did for you to a template site. That way you have total control of the content. After all, you are ultimately responsible for it.

Right now, your About page has the same content as at least a dozen other emb4 sites that I found through a Google search. You want your About page to be about you, not a generic inspector. One thing that was added to yours that the other sites don't have is :"you benefit from over 8 years in inspection service". How is that, when you say you're just starting out?

I'm probably not one who should be giving advice on websites. I'm still using a now-obsolete one that I acquired when I bought my company over a year ago. I did find a top notch designer that I know will give me an outstanding site, but I don't have the thousands of dollars it's going to cost. I think a flawless, professionally done web site is important, so I'll limp along with the current one until I can get it done right.

Good luck to you Jason.

PS - You've already done one of the best things someone just starting out can do ...... You found The Inspector's Journal. Soak up as much as you can of the incredible amount of collective knowledge found here. I know I do.