What is a "transition"

DonTx

We're talking dryer ducts here....

The IRC says you do not count the transition. I've always considered the transition the duct that connects the dryer to the duct in the wall.

I have an inspector who says it's the first section of duct behind the wall where the dryer duct connects....which is usually a 90 degree elbow.

What's your thoughts on this?

It's the length of the dryer duct. Ya know, no more than 25 feet, 5 foot deduction for each 90 degree elbow, 2.5 foot deduction for each 45 degree elbow. IRC states you do not count the transition duct.

I say the transition duct is the hose from the dryer to the duct. My other inspector says it's the section of duct that the hose connects to at the wall. This section is generally a 90 degree elbow and I subtact 5 feet for it.

You're right. The code can only regulate the length of ducting installed in the house. It can't count the length of what's connected from the house to the dryer, because there is no way to anticipate what that might be - some folks put the dryer directly in front of or over the house duct, some folks put it way off to one side.

FWIW, CPSC says there were more than 17,000 fires in the US between 1993 and 1997 that were caused by occluded dryer ducts with corrugated ducting. They recommend using only a smooth-walled metal box vent at the back of the unit and smooth-walled metal ducting all the way to terminus, making sure to tape all seams with high-temperature foil tape - not 'duct' tape - and do not use screws.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Aw go such a turnip you old curmudgeon!

Been there, done that.......twice. It was anything but blissful. Chaotic maybe,blissful no.

There was that time I lived in a little two room cabin in Woodinville, CT with two young bi-sexual ladies and we all slept in the same bed. I'll never forget..........

OT - OF!!!

M.

A house burned down in Lexington a week or so ago, and the fire marshal said the cause was a clogged dryer vent. A sad and tragic event, of course, but also useful to bring up when the realtor starts rolling his or her eyes the second an improper ducting system is mentioned.

Mike, what in the world inspired you to walk away from that cabin in Connecticut? Are you quite mad, man!!?!

John

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

The IRC says you do not count the transition. I've always considered the transition the duct that connects the dryer to the duct in the wall.

I have an inspector who says it's the first section of duct behind the wall where the dryer duct connects....which is usually a 90 degree elbow.

What's your thoughts on this?

You're right. He's wrong.

In the next ASHI Reporter there will be an excellent article on dryer venting by John Cranor.

Something to look forward to.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Um,

That was back in those uninhibited late 60's/early 70's. One night one of them suggested we expand our horizons, make it really interesting and invite another.......guy.[:-bigeyes

Well, I'm adventurous but not that adventurous. I wanted to have my cake and eat it too and I didn't want to, er,....share with anyone else. I said no way in hell. That was the beginning of the end. Need I say more?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Okay. Make the sound of gentle laughing. Then make the sound of someone reading an inspection thread. Now, make the sound of hitting the brakes and spinning around in a hard 180 degree turn & going back to see something that he just sped by. That's the sound in my head after reading Norm's comment, then Mike's little admission.

Mike, we really need more details. Off the record, of course.......

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

That's how I read the code. Reading in context, M1501.1 states, "...Flexible transitions ducts used to connect the dryer to the exhaust duct system shall be limited to single lengths, not to exceed 8 feet in length...Transition ducts shall not be concealed within the construction."

Therefore, the duct "to connect the dryer to the exhaust duct system" is the "flexible transitions duct", or transition duct.

However, one can make the argument that since the 25 equivalent maximum length dryer duct includes an allowed 8 ft transition duct, if a shorter transition duct were used, the equivalent length of 25 ft could be increased by the amount of the transition duct less than 8 ft. It's all about the DP. DP is DP and it doesn’t matter what form it comes in.