Jewish tradition explanation?

I've seen these things on homes in Jewish homes before. They are usually on doors to bedrooms and entry doors into the home.

Can someone explain to me what they are for or what they represent?

Also, this is the first time that I've seen all the Kitchen cabs, sink, appliances, etc labeled for either "meat" or "dairy". Curious about that also.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif doorthingy2.JPG

22.02 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif doorthingy3.JPG

20.86 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif doorthingy.JPG

17.7 KB

Thanks,

Keeping meat and dairy products seperate is not limited to practicing orthodos Jews. Anyone of the Jewish faith may elect to keep a home "Kosher". In a Kosher home not only are meat and dairy kept seperate but pork products are not allowed. I'm sure there are more parameters but I'm not familiar with them. I have been told the tradition regarding meat and dairy products goes way back in time to when tableware consisted largely of wooden plates and bowls. Dairy products would find their way into the cracks and pores of the wood and spoil. This would contaminate meat products which then came into contact with the affected plates. Simply put it is a health issue which became tradition. Growing up in a predominately Jewish neighborhood there was one thing which confused me. I had friends who kept a Kosher home but would consume pork products outside the home. I guess a Kosher home and a Kosher person are two seperate entities. I'm not sure.

NORM SAGE

We've got some kosher neighborhoods around us. I've inspected a few, & they all have duel sinks, stoves, refrigerators, & dishwashers to keep things seperate.

As far as someone living kosher & sneaking in a a few sausages on the outside, well, it's kinda like the Catholic that "helps" out her boyfriend on Friday night; being relegious doesn't mean you're not human.

Originally posted by kurt

We've got some kosher neighborhoods around us. I've inspected a few, & they all have duel sinks, stoves, refrigerators, & dishwashers to keep things seperate.

As far as someone living kosher & sneaking in a a few sausages on the outside, well, it's kinda like the Catholic that "helps" out her boyfriend on Friday night; being relegious doesn't mean you're not human.

???? Catholics don't eat meat on Fridays (during Lent) I never heard the "helping out" thing!!!