Grumbling in Missouri

Article in a Missouri newspaper today about some Pulaski County commissioners quizzing some newly elected pol what he was going to do to raise more money for the state.

This excerpt was kind of interesting:

Quote:Farnham, a real estate agent, said the state should consider regulating who may market themselves as third-party home inspectors.

"Anybody can say they are a third party home inspector, nine times out of ten they know nothing about what they are doing, and then they make a list of what's wrong with the house and make the real estate transaction a nightmare," Farnham said. "In this area since we have so many military customers come and go, third-party home inspectors are being used more and more. I'm all in favor of 3rd party home inspectors; I just want to make sure they know what they are doing."

Crismon, a residential property developer, agreed.

"Bill and I could go on forever," Crismon said. "Some of these guys have never built a house in their life, couldn't drive a nail, and probably don't even know what an air hammer is."

These two guys were a realtor and a developer, so this kind of trash talk is to be expected, but you gotta know that they knew a reporter was right there scribbling as fast as he could and they were trying to slam HI's. These are the kind guys who get dumb legislation that favors the realtors pushed forward.

Here's the link to the entire article:

Trash Talkin Pol

Comments from someone in Missouri? Seems like this oughta earn the guy an open letter in the paper from the local HI orgs.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Article in a Missouri newspaper today about some Pulaski County commissioners quizzing some newly elected pol what he was going to do to raise more money for the state.

This excerpt was kind of interesting:

Farnham, a real estate agent, said the state should consider regulating who may market themselves as third-party home inspectors.

"Anybody can say they are a third party home inspector, nine times out of ten they know nothing about what they are doing, and then they make a list of what's wrong with the house and make the real estate transaction a nightmare," Farnham said. "In this area since we have so many military customers come and go, third-party home inspectors are being used more and more. I'm all in favor of 3rd party home inspectors; I just want to make sure they know what they are doing."

Crismon, a residential property developer, agreed.

"Bill and I could go on forever," Crismon said. "Some of these guys have never built a house in their life, couldn't drive a nail, and probably don't even know what an air hammer is."

These two guys were a realtor and a developer, so this kind of trash talk is to be expected, but you gotta know that they knew a reporter was right there scribbling as fast as he could and they were trying to slam HI's. These are the kind guys who get dumb legislation that favors the realtors pushed forward.

Here's the link to the entire article:

Trash Talkin Pol

Comments from someone in Missouri? Seems like this oughta earn the guy an open letter in the paper from the local HI orgs.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Actually, I agree with them 100%. Most of the home inspectors in any given market are fools. It's the great millstone that the good inspectors have to wear around their necks.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Both right on this one, but the aroma of real estaters & developers wanting to regulate HI's because they "confuse the deal" kinda stinks up things.

Business as usual though; those w/money & power are always going to want to regulate anything that enters their sphere of influence.

• 1 year later...

Missouri does not have mandatory licensing of builders, contractors, etc. In 2/3 of the state there is no building codes or code inspections.

There are some real good builders BUT, I can't count how many piss poor builders there are out here that don't know which end of the hammer to drive a nail with NOR squat about code requirements. The vast majority of the major screw-ups I see in construction were done by the type of contractors in the news article.

• 1 year later...

I'm from Mo. I have recently started a home inspection service

I have been in construction for over 28 years I am currently looking for e & o insurance I have a resume, report, exclusion and inclusion stats, USDA rural development inspection report for government loans, and a pre-inspection contract. I have gone and presented myself to bank loan officers and real estate agents for refferals. I have an ad in the yellow book and working on a web page. Any tips for starting out would be appreciated. I agree there are a lot of shoty builders and contractors out there. I have worked and lived in a tourist area for over 21 years. There are many expensive vacation homes in this area. I've seen a lot of new and remodel jobs in my time. Most are built properly, but then you find some one who was taken. Not good for anyone.

Carl,

That air hammer is similiar to my air guitar. Missouri does not seem like it is going to be a good place to inspect for awhile.

Kurt and Jim are correct about most home inspectors. I'm too old to care about hurting anyone's feelings any more. Young guys like Mark, Frank, john, Chris, David Lord*, etc., are the exception.

(*wonder how long it will be before David Lord responds! I understand he was partners with DeLeon.)

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Les

Carl,

That air hammer is similiar to my air guitar. Missouri does not seem like it is going to be a good place to inspect for awhile.

Kurt and Jim are correct about most home inspectors. I'm too old to care about hurting anyone's feelings any more. Young guys like Mark, Frank, john, Chris, David Lord*, etc., are the exception.

Sigh... Ditto that. I, too, have gotten over worrying about HIs' tender feelings. HI tests and continuing ed are jokes. If the tests get harder -- say up to middle-school level -- HIs won't be able to pass them. If the tests get easier, middle schoolers will be able to pass them. We need to be smarter than the AHJs, the builders, the addled tradesmen and the average fifth-graders. Otherwise, we're useless.

Truth is, anybody with decent housey knowledge and a little bit of getup can make more money defending or smiting errant home inspectors than he can crawling through 140-degree attics and ratshit-filled crawl spaces.

WJid="blue">