Attic access stairs from garage, are not present

gsozz

Hi All,

I will be inspecting a new house tomorrow that has the attic access from the garage. The access consists of a stairway that leads from the garage to the attic without any way to close off the attic from the garage.

This is the first time I have seen this arrangement and am wondering if there is a requirment to be able to close the attic off from the garage. It would seem to me to be a good way to spread a garage fire to the rest of the house very quickly.

The house is in Houston, Texas

Thanks,

Gsozz

There needs to be either a fire door at the top or bottom of the staircase, or a fire rated wall between the garage attic and the rest of the house. You are correct in guessing that it was incorrect.

As to pull down attic stairs, unless the stairs are fire rated (most are not) it is considered a breach in the garage envelope and either needs to be sealed, or the stairs replaced with a fire rated type.

Kevin Teitel

House-Pro Inspections

Hi there , here in our code it is important to have the presence of a door that has an automatic shut off if ever you kept this door opened plus a proper weather stripper that will prevent any CO gas that could infiltrate thrue this opening. It is important to prevent any infiltrations from fire propagtion or /and CO gas by having those type of components; and that for the security of the occupants.(But i know that the codes are different in your part of the counrty! By the way Gsozz Lightcatcher winery In fort Worth ?? This where i'm going to get married ...

Thanks for the responce,

I have looked in the IRC and could not find anything related to this situation. Since this is a "new home" I'm betting the builder will want a "code quote" to verify that I know what I'm talking about when I tell him there needs to be a door seperating the garage from the attic. Does anyone know if the IRC addresses this. Again, this is a "stairway" that leads up to the attic from the garage. There are no "pull down" attic access stairs, just an open stairway to the attic.

Thanks,

Gsozz

Originally posted by gsozz

Thanks for the responce,

I have looked in the IRC and could not find anything related to this situation. Since this is a "new home" I'm betting the builder will want a "code quote" to verify that I know what I'm talking about when I tell him there needs to be a door seperating the garage from the attic. Does anyone know if the IRC addresses this. Again, this is a "stairway" that leads up to the attic from the garage. There are no "pull down" attic access stairs, just an open stairway to the attic.

Thanks,

Gsozz

Look at R309.2.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hey that is my neck of the woods. I have not been to the winery but I have heard it was neat.

I Live in Burleson which is on the south side of Fort Worth and Confederate parkway is on the Northwest side of Fort worth. One word of advice. 199 ,the Jacksboro HWY, from Loop 820 until you get over the Lake Worth bridge has major road construction and it is a pain in the butt. Plan some extra time, 15 minutes maybe. I do some interim inspections for a large bank out off of Confederate parkway and I quit going that way completely. I take Silver creek from Loop 820 and it runs into Confederate pkwy in about the 6500-6600 block. The downside is that silver creek is an old winding country road and I emphasize winding. Pretty country though.

Hope every thing goes well for you.

If you have any questions about Fort Worth I might can help I've been a Fort Worth firefighter for 17 years and lived in Burleson for 46 years(born in Fort Worth and moved to Burleson 2 months later).

Buster

I just realized you said your wife is from Fort Worth so you will probably not need any help finding anything. How did she end up in Canada?