Heat and Glo gas fireplace going out

I have a Heat and Glo SL-750TR-IPI-E. it is 3 years old. It is on a switched outlet and will start up just fine. Once it is on it will run for awhile, then sometimes it just goes out. I will leave the switch on and then it comes back on anywhere from 5-20 minutes later. It has a ignitor, not sure if that would be the problem!!

I occasionally have similar symptoms with my Valor fireplace. I traced it to small soot balls forming around the pilot area which, I assume, somehow affects the thermocouple sensor. When it starts misbehaving, I open it up, vacuum the area, and it runs fine again for a year or so.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if that's your problem and recommend a fireplace professional investigate.

Hi Brandon,

It wouldn't. I thought that one might be equipped with a temperature cutout but I checked the installation manual and it is not.

pkutches,

Have you tried working through the trouble shooting steps in the manual?

If you don't have it anymore, download it here and work through the trouble shooting chart.

http://www.heatnglo.com/~/media/Files/H ... 8_900.ashx

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It wouldn't. I thought that one might be equipped with a temperature cutout but I checked the installation manual and it is not.

I think you may be onto something, just don't know what........

As long as the pilot is clean/ hot enough to heat the thermcouple's hot junction, the ASO/electromagnet will be able to hold the gas valve open. I'm trying to figure out why the valve would suddenly close/ shut gas off to the burner. Maybe heat causes enough expansion/ movement for something to only work intermittently. Some of the main causes for a pilot to go out will be a dirty pilot (doubtful in this case), loose G-bushing (fastener at screw in/ valve side), or a bad thermocouple.

If the switch was the issue, I would think that it would be an issue from the start.

PS: I won't get to learn how to diagnose issues with gas equipment for about 5 months, so I'm just throwing some info. out without really having a clue.

These are possible causes and troubleshooting for flame cutting out on that unit according to Heat n Glow's own manual for that product.

Symptom: The pilot is burning, there is no burner fl ame, the valve knob is in the ON position, and the ON/OFF switch is in the ON position.

A. ON/OFF switch or wires. - Check the ON/OFF switch and wires for proper connections. Place the jumper wires across the terminals at the ON/OFF switch. If the burner comes on, replace the ON/OFF switch. If the ON/OFF switch is OK, place the jumper wires across the ON/OFF switch wires at the gas valve. If the burner comes on, the wires are faulty or connections are bad.

B. Thermopile may not be generating sufficient millivoltage.- Check that the pilot flame impinges thermopile properly. Be sure the wire connections from the thermopile at the gas valve terminals are tight and that the thermopile is fully inserted into the pilot bracket. Check the thermopile with a millivolt meter. Take the reading at THTP&TP terminals of the gas valve. The meter should read 350 millivolts minimum, while holding the valve knob depressed in the pilot position, with the pilot lit, and the ON/OFF switch in the OFF position. Replace the thermopile if the reading is below the specified minimum.With the pilot in the ON position, disconnect the thermopile leads from the valve. Take a reading at the thermopile leads. The reading should be 350 millivolts minimum. Replace the thermopile if the reading is below the minimum.

C. Valve. - Turn the valve knob to the ON position. Place the ON/OFF switch in the ON position. Take a reading with a millivolt meter at the thermopile terminals. The millivolt meter should read greater than 125mV. If the reading is acceptable, and if the burner does not come on, replace

the gas valve.

D. Plugged burner orifice. - Check the burner orifice for stoppage. Remove stoppage.

E. Wall switch or wires. - Check the wall switch and wires for proper connections.

Symptom: The pilot and main burner extinguish while in operation.

A. No LP in tank. - Check the LP (propane) tank. Refill the fuel tank.

B. Improper gas inlet pressure. - Natural gas should be 5-14 in. w.c. LP should be 10-

14 in. w.c. Verify pressure with manometer.

C. Inner vent pipe leaking exhaust gases back

into the system. - Check venting system for damage. Replace/repair improperly assembled pipe sections.

D. Glass installed improperly. - Check to ensure glass is installed properly. Replace fixed glass panel assembly.

E. Thermopile or thermocouple. - Replace pilot if necessary.

F. Improper vent cap installation. - Check for proper installation and freedom from debris or blockage.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Oh, and Mike, he also said that some units do have a hi limit switch............

Yeah, I know that. That's why I shot my big mouth, well, er. ran my fat fingers off, before bothering to check on this particular model; and, as usual, got my head stuck up my ass.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Here's the latest...I cleaned it all up, used compressed air to clean out by the pilot ignitor. Tried any troubleshooting from the manual. This particular unit uses the Intellifire Ignition System (there is no thermopile or thermocouple)...So i turn on the switch and it clicks, which lights the pilot, and then the fireplace kicks on. It has a flame sensing rod that should glow shortly after ignition. i'm not sure if this is happening. The deflector is glowing, but the sensing rod on the left is not. Does this need to be moved closer to the flame?