We've Been Around A Long Time

For those of you who don't know, TIJ just turned 22. That's a long time for something like this to keep going. Will we stay active and relevant into the future as more new inspectors come into the profession and decide to participate here, or are we in the process of dying a slow and agonizing death? What do you all think?

Happy TIJ-Bday.

Just talked about this site with Chad yesterday.  We've brought up several times that there could/should be much more than just discussion forums.  We've still got members that could regularly contribute to populating the site with articles, insights and resources for all inspectors.

Or, it could turn into a handful of us old farts just bitchin' about all these young-uns.

That was the original intent, Bill. I wanted to model it after JLC Online. I tried to write articles at first, but with running the business and all I couldn't seem to find the time so, it became mostly about the forums. I'm afraid I just don't have the energy I used to have. I'd thought I'd be able to do more, but I guess I thought wrong. The Packard Hawk sitting in a kajillion pieces out behind my house will testify to that. You guys should take this and run with it any way you think you can. I'll try to contribute when I can but, I'm afraid I'm out to pasture.

On 4/15/2024 at 1:22 PM, hausdok said:

For those of you who don't know, TIJ just turned 22. That's a long time for something like this to keep going. Will we stay active and relevant into the future as more new inspectors come into the profession and decide to participate here, or are we in the process of dying a slow and agonizing death? What do you all think?

I thought it was more than 22 yrs.  Have learned a lot here from lots of "friends" I'm sure I will never meet. I am way less active inspecting and way more active with local community activities.  With some zoning admin and AHJ inspecting experience I try to advise local authorities.  Some of them listen and respond.

I have a facility for composition and like to write.  (Many of my referrals come from clients that like my prose style, believe it or not)

I think that trying to model on JLC will be a leap that this group should not try to make.

I wish I had better ideas, but I think the professional level of this forum membership really puts limits onto the kinds of content the site can carry.

I agree with others' assessments here of other online inspection forums.  A lot of ego and ignorance on parade there.

I agree with everyone.  Phew - that was hard to write!  I have a bit more time now that I have cut back on my screen time on Facebook page(s).  My attitude is improving on a daily basis and I'm no longer getting nasty phone calls and emails telling me to calm down.  In fact, my wife thinks I have taken a lover or found that box of Whitman's chocolates!

• Haha 1