Ice dam?

Jerry Lozier

We've has an unusal year this year, with snow and freezing temps. These pics are on the shady side of home. No evidence of previous soffit or interior wall to ceiling intersect damage or stains, but again have not seen conditions like this in 6 years I've been inspecting.

I'm thinking this is looking like the start of ice dam. 1968 home, 6-8" of insulation and minimal soffit vents. Inaccessible attic in this area to view.

Slab of ice is up to 6"-12" up roof from edge and 1-3" deep.

What say you?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012127221256_P1270008.jpg

46.78 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012127221358_P1270049.jpg

49.55 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012127221421_P1270050.jpg

39.95 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201212722159_P1270051.jpg

61.25 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012127221550_P1270054.jpg

30.77 KB

Realize proper venting and good insulation is key? What else would you recommend.

thanks

Jerry

Yep, looks like an ice dam. Insulation and ventilation is a good place to start, but sometimes it doesn't necessarily do anything.

If it's on the south side of the house......sun hitting the south wall warms the area, warm air rises, soffit "holds" it, and you get snow melt......melt runs into gutter, ices, voila...ice dam.

If it's on the south side of the house......sun hitting the south wall warms the area, warm air rises, soffit "holds" it, and you get snow melt......melt runs into gutter, ices, voila...ice dam.

I agree that the sun can cause problems. I think most people ignore the effects of the sun on ice dams.

thanks guys,

again perfect storm for what is happening, foot of snow, bright and sunny dayscombined w/ sub freezing conditions, older home, substandard insulation and ventilation, warm air from leaky home.

recommending a weatherization/ energy pro for further evaluation and repair

Hope they can get repaired before moisture gets under shingles and into structure.

Jerry,

If you had dug through the snow where those pockets in the fourth picture are, you might have found standing water there.

From what I saw on the news, you guys didn't stand a chance of this not happening. It reminded me of the snow, rain, snow, rain, snow, rain, that we had last year. Did you lose any roofs out there?

recommending a weatherization/ energy pro for further evaluation and repair

Hope they can get repaired before moisture gets under shingles and into structure.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a weather occurrence that rarely happens. If your temps are typically above freezing in January this should be gone before you know it.

I'd use your regular recommendations for good attic insulation and ventilation and leave it at that.

If there's a history of ice damming problems then the roof should have an ice barrier underlayment at the eaves.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201212814190_ice%20dam%20image.jpg

73.62?KB