Jump to content

What's this tank for on this Steam Boiler?

Neal Lewis

Recommended Posts

This is a newer gas fired single pipe steam boiler. The water feed is connected to the tank, and the return is also connected to the tank. There is a circulator pump for a takeoff zone. The takeoff zone piping isn't connected to the tank. Any ideas what the tank is there for?

Also, the Unimatch automatic feed valve is on it's side. The manufacturer specifically states the auto feed should be upright, yet I see this installation constantly. And this one was inspected by the building dept. Is there any adverse effect by installing it on it's side?

Click to Enlarge

48.54 KB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's see.. auto-fill valve and manual fill valves are 'closed' (unless unit is calling to fill the boiler)..

-Galvi tank is filled in between 'fills' of low-water calls.to the top?.

-Tank top (filled-state) is 'at or just below' (?) the boiler water level...

-There's a hydronic zone off that boiler below the water level... (Doesn't matter)

-Hartford return clearly in view... (normal)

When boiler is in a 'low-water' state and calling on the auto-fill, there probably is an air-gap at the top of that galvi tank..

"boiler-fill water hammer arrestor"? (Those auto-fill valves can be noisy..) Odd..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...