cut rafters

jeanette21

The truss with the finger pointing at it is cut pretty deep. It will need to be sistered. The sheathing should be trimmed back to trusses so that the new sheathing will have proper support. Then new underlay and new shingles need to be woven in. It's not too challenging a job, but choose an experienced builder. It's not a job for the inexperienced.

Good question for a truss engineer. Click here for one in Fresno.

Marc

Come on, Marc. Really? You're a carpenter, right?

It's not like she's dealing with snow loads. It would cost more for an engineer to tell you to sister it up and walk away, than it would to just get it done and over with.

I hope you guys are talking about sistering an entire truss.

The truss is a system. It would be difficult to sister an entire truss in a retro fit, with obstacles in the attic like insulation wiring not to mention cutting the other side of the roof off.

an engineer may help avoid some of that work im with Marc. Insurance sounds like a good place to start/

I hope you guys are talking about sistering an entire truss.

The truss is a system. It would be difficult to sister an entire truss in a retro fit, with obstacles in the attic like insulation wiring not to mention cutting the other side of the roof off.

an engineer may help avoid some of that work im with Marc. Insurance sounds like a good place to start/

I've seen a few engineered truss repairs, and they involve large plywood gussets and lots of nails.

Not necessarily covering the entire truss, and as you say, it would be impossible to bring full length gussets into the attic, anyway. The top chords need repair where they've been cut.

I'm not an engineer.

Good question for a truss engineer. Click here for one in Fresno.

Marc

Come on, Marc. Really? You're a carpenter, right?

It's not like she's dealing with snow loads. It would cost more for an engineer to tell you to sister it up and walk away, than it would to just get it done and over with.

Yes Gary, I'm a framer, but an HI also. I suspected it would only take a few calls and Emailed photos to get a quick (and free) answer from the engineer at the truss facility.

Now, if this wasn't trusses, I'd furnish a suggestion of my own.

There's a little CYA in my suggestion but heck, if Jeanette can get a free answer from a truss engr, why not?

Marc