I realize that we home inspectors look at things differently than the average homeowner does. I get that. But for Pete's sake, when Joe/ Jane homeowner changes out the filter in the return air grille and sees all of this crap behind it, is it possible that there is absolutely no thought that perhaps it would be a good idea to clean this? This home was built in 1979, and, surprisingly, the filter was actually clean. So you know that people have seen this mess. Probably dozens of times. Some of the material was obviously left there from construction, but much of it is far more recent. It just boggles my mind.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012426223531_HPIM9150.jpg

78.86 KB

I realize that we home inspectors look at things differently than the average homeowner does. I get that. But for Pete's sake, when Joe/ Jane homeowner changes out the filter in the return air grille and sees all of this crap behind it, is it possible that there is absolutely no thought that perhaps it would be a good idea to clean this? This home was built in 1979, and, surprisingly, the filter was actually clean. So you know that people have seen this mess. Probably dozens of times. Some of the material was obviously left there from construction, but much of it is far more recent. It just boggles my mind.

Click to Enlarge

78.86?KB

I found a petrified burrito in a 6 year old homes return a few weeks ago, it looked about 6 years old!

Click to Enlarge

78.86?KB

I found a petrified burrito in a 6 year old homes return a few weeks ago, it looked about 6 years old!

Then there was the science teacher in a high school who put, as experiment, a Hostess Twinkie on top of his blackboard frame for observation of the effectiveness of its ingredients added for preservative value.

When he retired after thirty more years, he said there was, besides a coating of dust, no sign of deterioration.