Humidity inspection

Try to borrow a Humidistat. I wouldn't try to go without something to measure relative humidity in the house.

Poor circulation of air and not enough heat is what I would look for.

The worst case I've seen was a house full of kids and pets, piles of laundry everywhere, lots of long hallways with small cluttered bedrooms, and a woodstove in the dining room. They were not using the electric baseboard heat to save $. Humidity in the hallway was 74%.

You can sometimes figure stuff out in one visit with a thermo-hygrometer like Kurt's (I have one also) and also your various moisture meters. It's also useful to have an IR thermometer so you can easily get surface temperatures as well, looking for places where the dewpoint is close or has been reached. You need to look at the MC of the outside air vs the inside air, possibly also compare to the crawl space or attic or whatever.

More often I find it's useful to leave dataloggers at the house. I use these http://www.ueitest.com/products/tempera ... idity/thl2 , they cost about $75 and I have 4 of them. Put one outside, on in the main living space, one in the bathroom, one in the attic... or wherever you want to look for issues. Leave them a week or two or three and then go back and get them, download the data, and see what's going on.

If it's condensation you're looking for, we're approaching the time of year when you won't find it, because it's not cold enough anymore.

If it's humid inside, they need to ventilate. Running the bath fan on a timer switch is a good start.