The ONLY way to lay brick pavers

"is a Dutch made paving machine that uses gravity and an electric motor to print stone and brick roads. It?s a six meter wide machine that is capable of laying 300 square meters of road a day. The printing width is adjustable from the width of a road to as narrow as a bike lane or walkway. There are no moving parts within the machine, it simply uses a shelf that is fed bricks and they are automatically sorted and packed together by gravity, each stone will associate with the link previously made. There is a quiet electric motor that moves the machine along a bed of sand creating consistent results with a simply operated paver" Just add humans and plug it in. [:)]

• 3 months later...

The hard part is preparing the road bed for the pavers.

The europeans spend a lot of time prepping road beds. By the time the road is ready for the surface layer of pavers it's been dug up and the entire bed is replaced with compactable fill followed by a mix of what looks like stone dust with just enough portland cement in the mix to make it coagulate. They dampen the fill base and then start laying down and compacting the dust above it. By the time they're ready for the bricks, the bed is as hard as pavement. They put down the pavers and then they sweep a course sand into the top layer to lock everything together.

One night in Bremerhaven a water pipe burst underneath a main thoroughfare near my home. A crew came out, dug into the roadway and down to that pipe in about 15 minutes. They dropped a pump hose in there, sucked the hole dry and then a couple of guys jumped down in there with a section of pipe and some kind of heat-welding machine and climbed out thirty minutes later the pipe as good as new.

Meanwhile, the crew around them had removed the soup caused by the busted main and had begun refilling. Once the pipe was fixed, some guys went to town with compactors. They'd dump in about six inches of fill, compact, dump, compact, dump, compact until they were about a foot below the surface of the street and then they switched from fill to the stone dust mix. A couple of guys worked a straight edge and another guy supervised how much base to toss into the low spots and another guy stood there dampening the whole thing with a hose. Finally the compactor guys backed away and a different bunch went to town tossing down pavers in the correct pattern while the guys with compactors came along over the top of their work and behind them a couple of guys with sand and coarse brooms.

The entire repair start to finish was about two hours. I stood there and watched the whole thing. I was fascinated. Huge difference compared to dig hole, patch pipe, fill with five feet of earth, compact once and throw an asphalt patch on it like we see here.

Learned to love those paver streets in Bremerhaven.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 1 year later...

You might be able to do that on a street but its going to chip up the bricks so its only good for tumbled pavers. Great idea tho, cause it would cut down on install time and man hours. My customers would be pissed if they saw me using this machine on there flawless bricks. They need to come out with a machine you can just lay down prearranged bricks in a gravity feeder with this that would cut down even more on install time and stop it from chipping the bricks so you could use it on many more jobs.

You might be able to do that on a street but its going to chip up the bricks so its only good for tumbled pavers. Great idea tho, cause it would cut down on install time and man hours. My customers would be pissed if they saw me using this machine on there flawless bricks. They need to come out with a machine you can just lay down prearranged bricks in a gravity feeder with this that would cut down even more on install time and stop it from chipping the bricks so you could use it on many more jobs.

But that's what this machine is. Them two folks on it are arranging the pavers and the machine lays them down.

Marc