Hardiplank Caulk has worn out at joints

scribner

Hi all,

I'm in the process of selling my 11 year old house (I'm the original owner) and the buyers inspector has noted we have gaps in the Hardiplank siding.

Upon inspection I see a number of gaps at the butt joints where the caulking has basically worn off and left 1/16 to 1/8 inch gaps. In a couple cases the gap is as wide as 1/4 inch.

I live in Oregon which is pretty rainy.

What is the general fix request for something like this? I see a vapor barrier under the siding, but no butt joint flashing.

Is the request generally to replace all the siding on the house? Or just to re-caulk and re-paint the gaps?

Any ideas would be appreciated as I'm panicking of the thought they're going to request a full re-sign of a 3k foot house.

FYI the siding looks to be in good condition with no cracking, just the gaps with caulk that is missing (although once existed)

Get an estimate for the gap repair, then offer to reduce the selling price by that much. Just a thought.

11 years ago, caulking was considered correct. You are not required to upgrade to flashing the gaps. So you could offer to redo the caulking. There's no obligation to do anything, actually. Ask them to prove it's a problem. Just a few more thoughts.

Hrm, thanks for the feedback. Is stuffing flashing behind the joints a reasonably simple procedure? Do you just cram it in there, or do they need to nail it in?

Also, would they need to pull up the siding nails to do this, or is it something you can do just by pulling on the bottom edge

Hrm, thanks for the feedback. Is stuffing flashing behind the joints a reasonably simple procedure? Do you just cram it in there, or do they need to nail it in?

Also, would they need to pull up the siding nails to do this, or is it something you can do just by pulling on the bottom edge

No, it is not all that simple. I have attached a PDF from James Hardie that shows what and how to flash the joints. I have also attached the old install guideline that shows caulking.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif hardieplank-install.pdf

1420.08?KB

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif hardipanelinstall_old_caulk.pdf

952.9?KB

If it was me, I would tell the new buyer that joint flashing is not going to happen but that you would replace the caulk, paint and that is about the best you can do.

Is the siding face nailed??

If the siding isn't face nailed, it's simple. Obtain the right size tin shingles (rectangular pieces of flashing), use tin snips to make small cuts at the lower left and right corners, 1" up from the bottom, bend back the metal above the cuts slightly. Then slip the flashing up behind the butt joint. Once the bent tabs click into place, you're done. If you move like a snail, they'll take 30 seconds each.

If the siding is face nailed, you have to cut the nails, which adds about 30 more seconds per joint.