Stove clearance

So I keep reading the label on this Viking stove and still not getting it. Home was a quick flip and just a ton of installation defects of all sorts. This question pertains to the height of the countertop in relation to the range burner. Under the stone countertop is 3/4" plywood right next to the burners. Opinions please. Photos attached.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012823231549_P1010164.jpg

55.61 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012823231616_P1010161.jpg

48.3 KB

It's wrong and it's stupid. I don't care what the label says. It's Very likely the edge you see closest to the countertop, was supposed to be over, and in contact with it. The end of the top is exposed to grease, flame, and it just looks like ass.

Now they'll need to adjust the legs and caulk [;)] the sides, or if it's a drop in, put the piece of the cabinet they butchered back in.

Ps. Who the hell would put the money into a Viking for a flip?

I do not see a problem with it. As Marc said, the label has Zero clearance and that is what you have on the side. However I would comment on the unfinished countertop edge and the exposed raw wood; exposed raw wood is a no no with kitchen countertops.

Scott, what I was trying to say is that the label specifies 6" of clearance. The combustible substrate is in direct contact with the stove and protrudes above the cooking surface so the 6" specification is not met.

I'd be recommending that the appliance be elevated slightly to clear the top of the counter top.

Gotta work on my clarity a little more.

Marc

I do not see a problem with it. As Marc said, the label has Zero clearance and that is what you have on the side. However I would comment on the unfinished countertop edge and the exposed raw wood; exposed raw wood is a no no with kitchen countertops.

Scott, what I was trying to say is that the label specifies 6" of clearance. The combustible substrate is in direct contact with the stove and protrudes above the cooking surface so the 6" specification is not met.

I'd be recommending that the appliance be elevated slightly to clear the top of the counter top.

Gotta work on my clarity a little more.

Marc

Above would be above the cook top not to the sides of the cook top.. I see what you are talking about but if you have a Zero side clearance and then it says Six inches above then those are two different things.. Read the next line it defines it more...

I think it is OK outside of the exposed raw wood on the sides.

I have a Wolf brand stove in my home and it is very similar. It will have adjustable legs that will allow the stove to be elevated up about 2-3 inches if needed. As Marc said this would be an improvement, if this bothers you. But I would still have that edge taken care of..

I see what you're getting at and I respectfully disagree.

The heading "ABOVE COOKING SURFACE" pertains to surfaces above the plane represented by the cooking surface. The clearance specs immediately below that heading pertain to "adjacent combustible construction" in a horizontal direction from all sides of the appliance.

Vertical clearances above the cooking surfaces are specified separately further down.

Marc

I see what you're getting at and I respectfully disagree.

The heading "ABOVE COOKING SURFACE" pertains to surfaces above the plane represented by the cooking surface. The clearance specs immediately below that heading pertain to "adjacent combustible construction" in a horizontal direction from all sides of the appliance.

Vertical clearances above the cooking surfaces are specified separately further down.

Marc

That is exactly what it means.

The plywood is bridging to support the weight of the top. That tells me, it's either stone or solid surface. I'm not sure what anyone might use to cap the edge of that top to keep it from being damaged by heat.

Would anyone here call it ok if it were a laminate top with plastic edge banding to protect it?

It's an unprofessional install, at best.

I read: 'TOP GRATE - 3/8" ABOVE COUNTERTOP' ....couldn't figure it out so went to the Viking site: http://www.vikingrange.com/MEDIA_Custom ... F20543.pdf

? This range may be installed directly

adjacent to existing 36? (91.4 cm) high

base cabinets.

IMPORTANT: The side trim MUST be

3/8? (.95 cm) above the adjacent base

cabinet countertop. This can be

accomplished by raising the unit using

the adjustment spindles on the legs

They also sell optional trim peices... http://www.vikingrange.com/MEDIA_Custom ... _F1226.pdf

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the all the input. I recommended they raise it. I read the clearance as above the cooking surface plane as well which makes sense. It is substandard work and yes they put a viking in a flip when it's flipped for 2 million. They buy quality appliances and other components but install it all in the same crappy way.