New to forum Help! Possible flashing problem new

Justjoe3103

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and desperate for some help to put my mind at ease here. I just bought a new house in Navarre, FL and have some issues with the siding that seem pretty suspect.

1.) James Hardie siding insatalled using vinyl trim/flashing

I've never seen this done before. Looks cheap and just wrong usingvinyl siding products with James hardie siding.

2.) A lot of the flashing installed seems like it will just dump water right into the wall. (there are no holes drilled into the bottom of the J-channel at the base of the siding)

Please reference pictures. I am not a contractor and don't know much about building houses. The flashing install just does not seem right. Thank you for your input.

Link to photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78522521@N08/

James Hardie probably won't warranty it because of components intended for vinyl installations.

The sill looks level. It should slope down a minimum of 15 degrees.

Yeah, it's a mess. Conducive to moisture intrusion issues, I'd say. If I were inspecting it, I'll likely recommend the replacement of all siding that consisted of fiber-cement married to vinyl trim. I'd also recommend redoing the brick sill.

There still might be some utility for a home inspection. This fiber-cement/vinyl thing might be just the beginning. Who knows what else this builder has conceived?

Marc

JustJoe,

I've moved your post here to the exteriors forum, where it belongs. Stop reposting it to other forums, that have nothing to do with flashing and siding.

Did you get your home inspected before closing? Do you have a 30-day punchlist?

Download Hardies's installation instructions - they're very clear on how their product is to be installed.

The house was a new construction purchased under a VA loan so I believe it was the local new construction building inspector that did the final inspection. Can I give the county a call and have them send out another inspector? Do I have any options here? I have an e-mail out to James Hardie with pictures. Still waiting to hear back from them.

Sorry about reposting so in so many places. I'm just pissed. We have only been in the house 2 months and i'm deploying soon so I need to get some answers. I can't believe builders are still cutting corners like this. Such a cheap fix to do right the first time. Some peoples kids.

Joe

In my city, the codes don't inspect any type of exterior wall finish. It just has to be there. I've seldom seen it done right, except on commercial. Residential code enforcement answers to politics. The people will tolerate a basic code presence but don't want it ratcheting up their construction costs more than a little. Different cities will vary.

I advise new construction home buyers to inject language into the construction contract that stipulates compliance with the manufacturer installation instructions for systems and products that will be installed in the house. That's a service that architects and engineers do for clients in commercial.

Marc

Dang. Sounds like we might be screwed then. Guess all I can do is hope the builder has a heart. Which I suppose is unlikely. Here are a few more pics of the brick. Should I be able to see all the way through to the moisture barrier?

This is my first new construction purchase. What a headache!

Thank you for all your replies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78522521@N08/

Should I be able to see all the way through to the moisture barrier?

The weep holes should be just above the flashing so any trapped water can get out.

I didn't see any flashing installed in that photo so...yes...the next thing you'd see is the moisture retarder.

I've racked my brain for years, trying to figure how to help a buyer in a situation just like this but the only course of action I've seen that has even a chance of yielding results is a lawsuit. Maybe your state has different laws than mine, laws that favor the buyer a little more.

Marc