tilting

"... her name is Dulcinea, her country El Toboso, a village of La Mancha, her rank must be at least that of a princess, since she is my queen and lady, and her beauty superhuman, since all the impossible and fanciful attributes of beauty which the poets apply to their ladies are verified in her; for her hairs are gold, her forehead Elysian fields, her eyebrows rainbows, her eyes suns, her cheeks roses, her lips coral, her teeth pearls, her neck alabaster, her bosom marble, her hands ivory, her fairness snow, and what modesty conceals from sight such, I think and imagine, as rational reflection can only extol, not compare."

Don Quixote

"? I can tell you that she pitches a bar as well as the strongest lad in the whole village? She's a brawny girl, well built and tall and sturdy, and she will know how to keep her chin out of the mud with any knight errant who ever has her for his mistress. O the wench, what muscles she's got, and what a pair of lungs! I remember the day she went up the village belfry to call in some of their lads who were working in a fallow field of her father's, and they could hear her plainly as if they had been at the foot of the tower, although they were nearly two miles away. There's a good deal of the court-lady about her too, for she has a crack with everybody, and makes a joke and a mock of them all." ---Sancho Panza

Sorry, Jim. It's "The Impossible Dream" from"The Man from La Mancha". 1960's stuff.

...never could stand opera.

It was pop music. For a while, that song was on every lounge singer's lips, AM radio, Ed Sullivan and more.

Pictures of Don Quixote and his sidekick reminded me of the Cisco Kid and Pancho.

Of course, it was actually the other way round, but Hollywood has a way of twisting your mind, eh? Cisco was the real deal.

John my comment was of course in jest. I'm lucky not to have the words etched anywhere so did not recognize. I'm sure Bill Murray's lounge lizard character sang it too.

Don't get me started on Hollywood, and don't mention Disney either. Both push my rant button. Dulcinea is of course an archetype like Dante's Beatrice.