2X4 or 2X6 for a shower wall?

JosephVelder

I think beyond a certain number of toilets installed in a house, a minimum of one 4" vent stack is needed and it won't fit in a 2X4 stud wall.

Some framers use two 2X4 stud walls with a little space between them instead of a single 2X6 wall to get the necessary wall depth.

Marc

Is this an exterior wall?

Negative, interior wall

If you have room, use the 2x6s and put some nice clean built in shelves, at random levels, in the stud bays without the pipe. Problem solved, you'll have something that looks like you planned it, and is better use of the space that would have been lost for the sake of a vent.

But if that wall with the 4" vent were to be 2x4 the inspector wouldn't make me change it?

Can it be firred out on both sides with 2x2's on both sides instead of having to demo the 2x4 wall?

If you cut the entire width of a plate on a wall, you are effectively creating two walls from one, with a gap - and the pipe - between them. It's unconventional so I don't know what the code inspector would say. If I were you, I'd Email Randy Duke at codeenforcement@westmonroe.com

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

I never heard back from Randy so I'm back to ask ya'lls opinions

This is the wall in question,

100_3677.jpg

It looks to me that the drain for the bath tub is to close to the wall so if I make the wall 2x6 it will make this worse right?

does this look right to you guys?

100_3679.jpg

or is do I "T" the tub drain into that pipe and it also connects to the overflow?

I've never installed a tub before...obviously.

I don't see the need for a 2X6 wall. That looks like a 3" vent stack. Just install listed metal strips on all 3 plates to keep errant drywall nails from puncturing the pipe.

I framed for years but plumbing isn't my forte.

If you need a copy of the Louisiana Plumbing Code, there's one here. It's 178 pages! [:-bigeyes

Marc