Circuit breaker handle taped

exploreparadise2

I came across a panel where some of the circuit breaker handles were covered with duct tape. The panel was installed in a small retail building. The store manager told me the tape was there to prevent employees from turning off power to some circuits and not because the breakers were tripping. I recall that Mr. Hansen stated during a seminar that a circuit breaker can still trip in an overcurrent situation if the handle can't move. Do I remember that correctly?

• 3 years later...

Hie exploreparadise2..

The fact is If you never want a breaker to trip, you might be able to watch your usage carefully enough to prevent that. But normal people, who inadvertently trip breakers , are not doing a no-no. The very tripping of breakers is what keeps everyone from ever truly overloading any circuits. So you don't have to wonder or worry.

I would infer that Mr./Ms Retail is regularly using some of the breakers in the panelboard as switches (and SWD marked breakers are rated for such use as I understand) The tape is there as a guide or reminder to 'Don't open these circuits' rather than some brute force method of keeping the circuits energized. I have worked in an operation like that years ago. Usually the circuits that are a 'natural' for that are lighting circuits.