Paint Questions

omagic12

Home is in Tampa Bay area of Florida. I am in the midst of painting my home's fascia, gables and soffit. I know the key to a good finish is in the prep work and feel satisfied with that part of the it. I have painted the fascia within the past three years but have not painted the soffits and gable since I purchased the home 11 years ago.

I purchased Valspar latex stain-blocking primer and latex semi-gloss from the local big box store. The primer IMO worked well, although not much stain blocking was needed. The semi-gloss seems to not cover as well as hoped. I say seems because I haven't used an expensive brand like Porter paint, Benjamin Moore Sherwin Williams or other high end brands. Can't seem to bring myself to spend an extra $20 or so it takes compared to Valspar or Behr. Anyway, not intending this to be a brand war so here's my questions:

1) As mentioned I have put on one primer coat and almost finished with one coat of semi-gloss. Should I put on a second coat of semi-gloss?

2) Does semi-gloss (no matter the brand) always have some transparency to it?

3) Suggestions for brand(s)

1) Maybe. Sounds like it.

2) No. Sounds like cheap paint.

3) The good brands you listed. I also like some Pratt & Lambert products, but not all. I tend toward Ben Moore, myself. I detest Behr paint; it's crap.

Cheap paint is not any savings and a lot more work. Cheap paint has less pigment, more filler, and more solvent....that's why it seems "transparent".

I had a feeling that you or someone else was going to tell me I'd save more by using a better quality paint. My brother use to do part time painting years ago and swore by and only used Porter paints.

I started using Behr and Valspar about 15 years ago when they first showed up in the big stores and at that time they were better paints than they are now and for the past few years.

I'll do a second coat with the Valspar I have left and then cut bait with Valspar and Behr products. I'll be painting 3 rooms at my parents house soon. The home was built in early 1930's has all heart pine floors and the walls are original bead board. I'll go with B. Moore or Porter paints.

Thanks for the reply kurt

1) Maybe. Sounds like it.

2) No. Sounds like cheap paint.

3) The good brands you listed. I also like some Pratt & Lambert products, but not all. I tend toward Ben Moore, myself. I detest Behr paint; it's crap.

Cheap paint is not any savings and a lot more work. Cheap paint has less pigment, more filler, and more solvent....that's why it seems "transparent".

You better not bring up the brand name paint I highlited in my house or yo will never hear the end of it. That paint is crap. That word is banned.

Well, I will B. Moore likely to use B. Moore with future projects.

I put a second coat of the Vladspar (cause it sucks) semi-gloss on and it does look better than a single coat (like all paints do), but it has streaks and transparency shows through. The good news is it only used one gallon, so when I paint it again 5 years from now that's all I will need.

Now, if someone could please direct me to the best primer for water stains on ceiling tiles. I am ASSuming that good ole' original KILZ oil-based will work better than water-based. My parent's home has a lot of windows and wall fans to help rid the VOC's.

• 2 weeks later...