No trap

Darren

I did an inspection last week that had a bathroom in the basement with an ejector pump. I found there was no trap in the shower (the shower had a tile floor). When you flushed the toilet or ran the sink (including a wet bar 15 feet away), you could hear the water running under the shower.

The buyer e-mailed me this link http://www.thesureseal.com/.

Besides ripping out the tiles and pan, does anyone have another option; what's the opinion on this 'seal'?

Thanks

The AHJ probably will not allow this, because it's for a 'dry-trap' situation.. you have a 'no trap' situation... right?

Cure: "Re-configure the drainage system of that shower"...

This looks like a decent product for a dry-trap situation..as long as the area is 'clean'. The floor drains I see (I just saw some in a luxury condo on Boston's waterfront) are grimy, dirty dusty places... the flap would likely get stuck open in a 'real' environment.. and not work..

The AHJ probably will not allow this, because it's for a 'dry-trap' situation.. you have a 'no trap' situation... right?

Cure: "Re-configure the drainage system of that shower"...

This looks like a decent product for a dry-trap situation..as long as the area is 'clean'. The floor drains I see (I just saw some in a luxury condo on Boston's waterfront) are grimy, dirty dusty places... the flap would likely get stuck open in a 'real' environment.. and not work..

I can't figure out what you're trying to say.

Marc

It's quick. It's easy. It probably costs less than $10 vs. a couple thousand to tear out a mud pan and floor, reconfigure a drain and redo the pan. If it works it's worth it.

Who cares about the AHJ. The house is already built. Now you have to find a solution to the AHJ's screwup - missing this. Besides, nobody is ever going to see it. If there has ever been one of those installed in a shower drain on a house I've inspected I'm unaware of it. Not sure I could even see one of these looking down through a shower strainer. I'm sure I probably wouldn't have noticed it unless the drain were clogged up.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The SureSeal is indeed only designed to be used with a trap.

This was introduced to compete with the a trap primer, a device that takes a small amount of water from a potable water line and trickles it into a drain. This is only to keep the trap full of water. The Sureseal just allows a little water through when commercial restrooms are mopped and slows trap evaporation waaaay down.

It has been approved for commercial applications only from what I understand.