Paint Question

Brian G

Could be.

Chalking typically occurs as the paint film degrades releasing pigment particles. Premature chalking can occur if the paint was applied too thin or excess thinner was added (like when using a sprayer) or if the manufacturer didn't get the correct ratio of pigment to vehicle. It can also occur if the paint was applied to a cold or absorbent surface.

There's also the little thought that chalky old paint is lead based; every lead paint job I find is chalky as all get out. I've been told that one of the sales pitches on lead paint was that it was "self cleaning"; it would slough off surface dirt, hence, quite chalky.

I hate painting too; it's the only thing in construction that I find myself really, really disliking.

Yeah,

And paint begins chalking in about 3 months, so it's not necessarily a sign of impending paint failure.

Brian, I hate to paint too. I probably hate to paint more than anything else I can think of. Here's my strategy. Decide on a house color and stick to it, no matter what.

Paint the most visible side year one. I could hang for one side, but knowing I gotta do three more? Uh, uh. I'd rather get a couple dozen root canals. Year two, paint the next most visible. Year three, the next and year four the last. Now you've got about another six or seven before you need to do side one again.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

As paint is exposed to weather, the film deteriorates, and the pigment held in the paint coating is gradually released. Most paints contain Titanium Dioxide (a white pigment) as the primary pigment to provide hiding. Chalking is the appearance of this white pigment on the surface. It is a very difficult surface to paint. Oil based primers and paints will absorb the Titanium Dioxide and adhere well to the substrate. Some latex primers and coatings also adhere well, but many formulations of latex will not adhere without a primer.

As paint is exposed to weather, the film deteriorates, and the pigment held in the paint coating is gradually released. Most paints contain Titanium Dioxide (a white pigment) as the primary pigment to provide hiding. Chalking is the appearance of this white pigment on the surface. It is a very difficult surface to paint. Oil based primers and paints will absorb the Titanium Dioxide and adhere well to the substrate. Some latex primers and coatings also adhere well, but many formulations of latex will not adhere without a primer.

Scott Patterson

MS ASHI

Slim,

You're taking a perfectly good rant and turning it into a techie thing.

The Mud is the killer to me. I have it and painting to thank for carpal tunnel...again

Brian,

If you paint one side per year you will be painting at least one side a year for the rest of your life. Paint it all in one week and take 4-8 years off, or pay a professional and enjoy a nice cold beverage after a long day inspecting hot attics.

Mike Garcia,

It's not good advice, but it's all your gonna get.