Brown Staining

holmer

I found these brown egdes on the sheet vinyl where it was cut around the heating duct. I am wondering if the hot air has caused this. This was the only place in the home where sheet vinyl was near a register so I can't compare it to any others. The home was built in 1991 and this was in a bathroom. Any thoughts? Thanks

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Hiighead1.jpg

38.49 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Highhead2.jpg

35.58 KB

Originally posted by holmer

I found these brown egdes on the sheet vinyl where it was cut around the heating duct. I am wondering if the hot air has caused this. This was the only place in the home where sheet vinyl was near a register so I can't compare it to any others. The home was built in 1991 and this was in a bathroom. Any thoughts? Thanks

You're right. Some vinyls do this when exposed to heat. In addition to heating registers, I've seen it happen under refrigerators and along sliding glass doors when there's a heavy curtain in front of them that creates a hot area between the curtain and the glass.

I've also noticed that some vinyls turn yellow from extended contact with latex-backed throw rugs.

- Jim Katen, Oregon