Brick ties

Jim Baird

1985 house, two stories over basement, brick veneer fro pavement to tip of 6 in 12 gable.

Opposite end sports chimney column of even greater height, but chimbley has begun to bulge away from face of tall brick facade, On entry into attic I went to one gable end and then another, and pushed/pulled on endwall framing. Was able to get a pretty good sway going.

Suspected from chimney bow a possible lack of brick ties. Swaying end frame seemed to nail it for me.

If no ties, how to fix? What about chimbley?

Water damage from failed crown can cause mortar deterioration and thus result in bowing while the footer is still unaffected.

I don't see that as a likely scenario in a home built in the 1980's. Every modern chimney which I have seen that leans due to a footing failure leans consistently along its entire length. In other words, there is no bowing or buckling. If I understand the original post properly, there is a bend in the chimney assembly occurring roughly at the 2nd floor ceiling line. If visible racking can be easily induced in the roof assembly with nothing more than arm pressure, I suspect that perhaps wind loads have pushed the roof assembly into the chimney, "bumping" it at times and causing the problem. Does the chimney lean IN or OUT? And exactly where does it lean relative to the soffitt line?

Thanks for replies.

"...From what direction do the prevailing winds and weather affect homes in your area? What side of the house is the chimmey on?..." Column is on north end, and blowing nasty wetness often comes from north and northeast here.

If Brick Institute recommends a tie for every 3.25 SF of brick surface and end wall framing is on 24" centers, that means a tie every cpl of feet on every endwall stud. The framing only had "blackboard" gypsum type non structural sheathing that wa barely fastened itself. Would that not stiffen a flimsy end frame?

Column is brick with clay flue liner, total of full height basement, with two floors and an attic peak, where daylight can be seen from inside. Leaning out of upper floor windows the fist against the surface makes a resonant sound.